free website stats program Nothing but problems with my 09 RKC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nothing but problems with my 09 RKC

I am starting to feel the same about my 09 ultra, I love the bike, but I have had the muffler support break from a bad weld, the rear fender light filled with water, rear signal bar was pretty loose, now the bolts holding the transmission in place all backed out causing a flood of tranny fluid on the bike...small stuff but, I have had zero problems with my 96 low rider, and my 2000 rk had no problems at all.....

I feel your pain

There is Nothing worse than having a problem repaired and shortly thereafter the same problem re-appears. But as a tech, I can tell you even if you understand the sub-system or problem and try your best at getting it fixed the 1st time, some will get away from you. These bikes are fairly complex in nature. I know it is hard, but clear your head and let them have another shot at it. It is VERY important to speak directly with the service tech who is doing the work. Telling the service writer who in turn tells the tech is the kiss of death.

Tell him all the details. What you did, how the bike responded, what conditions the bike was under at the time. Don't exaggerate and give all the details in the way and order it happened.
A good tech will mentally step through the things it CAN'T be and then narrow it down to the things it CAN be.
Hoople, I just got off the phone with the dealer that fixed it the first time. What have fixed was replacing a system relay and cleaned an actuator. Does that seem right to you?

Hoople, I just got off the phone with the dealer that fixed it the first time. What have fixed was replacing a system relay and cleaned an actuator. Does that seem right to you?

The thing is this. In entry point 1 of this thread you state: "Well last night same issue happened again. The bike wont start, the spedo moves, my speedo light pulses, and the clock pulses and nothing happens when i push start."

Lets break this down.
1) When the clock pulses (flashes), does it show 12:00 just like it would if the battery or Maxi fuse was removed. If YES, the system relay will not fix that problem. If NO, then explain what "clock pulses" means.

2) Bike won't start. Meaning it will CRANK but will not start? If YES, then the System relay can fix that problem. Or do you mean it will not CRANK.

Generally, if a system relay fails to pick or the contacts fail to close, you will log a bunch of DTC's because the ECM does not see any injector power or ignition power. You need to know if you were stacking codes before the system relay was replaced. If there were no codes logged, I doubt the relay will fix anything. When that relay goes, the ECM will start to flag several codes that you should not even attempt to repair. They are all erroneous due to the relay not providing power to several sub-systems.

I don't know what the tech means by "actuator". Actuator in the starter assembly?

I'll bet if you removed and wire brushed both battery terminals, you're troubles would be gone. Don't forget the cables have two ends nd there are more than two cables. Look in front of the batery for the connection post that is always overlooked.

If your clock goes to default, you are loosing power so I feel this may be your problem.

Neg off first and on last.

The thing is this. In entry point 1 of this thread you state: "Well last night same issue happened again. The bike wont start, the spedo moves, my speedo light pulses, and the clock pulses and nothing happens when i push start."

Lets break this down.
1) When the clock pulses (flashes), does it show 12:00 just like it would if the battery or Maxi fuse was removed. If YES, the system relay will not fix that problem. If NO, then explain what "clock pulses" means.

2) Bike won't start. Meaning it will CRANK but will not start? If YES, then the System relay can fix that problem. Or do you mean it will not CRANK.

Generally, if a system relay fails to pick or the contacts fail to close, you will log a bunch of DTC's because the ECM does not see any injector power or ignition power. You need to know if you were stacking codes before the system relay was replaced. If there were no codes logged, I doubt the relay will fix anything. When that relay goes, the ECM will start to flag several codes that you should not even attempt to repair. They are all erroneous due to the relay not providing power to several sub-systems.

I don't know what the tech means by "actuator". Actuator in the starter assembly?
1. The clock will still show the correct time it will flash but not in a repeating fashion or it would turn off then come back on but the time is always still correct.
2. The bike wont crank. Nothing happens when you push start.

You can hear popping or snapping almost like when jumper cables spark.

I have the work order and it states

Using DT found codes relating to system relay and throttle actuator, cleaned actuator plug and replaced relay

1. The clock will still show the correct time it will flash but not in a repeating fashion or it would turn off then come back on but the time is always still correct.
2. The bike wont crank. Nothing happens when you push start.

You can hear popping or snapping almost like when jumper cables spark.

Read post #16 :D

That's the snapping noise you hear.

Back