free website stats program Not the way to start the day | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not the way to start the day

Installed the smart siren today and picked up a rechargeable receiver.

Also happened on a GPS tracking device that was marked down 80%. Hopefully will be able to install it tomorrow.

I have a Scorpio alarm that has a proximity sensor as well as various other sensors. The fob vibrates and screams if the alarm goes off. I can even kill the engine in case of hijack, up to 1/4 mile away. I have had a near hijack, mid-morning, on an isolate street corner. Guy just walked right up and got in my personal space, on my left. It was cold, so I was bundled such that I could not get to my Glock in time to stop an attack. The guy changed his mind before committing to the action, but I knew I was on the menu. I kicked myself all the way home for not putting the kickstand down and stepping off as he walked right up on me. it will not happen again.

Now, in a case where folks are taking locked bikes, there are at least 5 of them (1 driving and 4 to load up the bike), and they are likely armed. Keep that in mind. Cables will not so much as slow them down. Responding in such a situation, come big or let it go. That is what insurance is for. I love my scoot, and would not want to build another one to my liking, but, in a situation where I could lose my life as well as my bike, I have to give a bit of thought.

Basically, if you can make a bunch of noise from a distance and run them off, good. If you are going to engage them, make sure you have the horsepower to back up what you start. I can handle myself pretty well, but 4 or 5 guys big enough to load up a scoot in 12 secs, and me in a physical confrontation woudl be a good one for film. If deadly force starts getting threatened or used, remember you will have to justify it to LEO. In many states, "They were stealing my bike" is insufficient justification.

Be careful out there.

Enjoy,
Rich P

good read and sound advice!! Thanks
Bill

last year in Destin Fl during Thunder beach we pulled into a motel and checked in. There were a few drunks in the lobby and parking lot when we pulled in. We check in and started unloading our bikes and they came up to talk. When I got thru getting my stuff out of the bike I laid a live hollow point in the seat. On of the drunks asked me what that was for. I said it it to warn anyone who messes with my bike what is headed their way. next morning the bullet still laid in the seat.:D

last year in Destin Fl during Thunder beach we pulled into a motel and checked in. There were a few drunks in the lobby and parking lot when we pulled in. We check in and started unloading our bikes and they came up to talk. When I got thru getting my stuff out of the bike I laid a live hollow point in the seat. On of the drunks asked me what that was for. I said it it to warn anyone who messes with my bike what is headed their way. next morning the bullet still laid in the seat.:D

Awesome! I was thinking maybe draw a chalk outline of a human near the bike and leave a half dozen spent cartridges lying around! :bigsmiley30:

Seriously, it is disturbing that the world we live in today warrants a conversation like this. You can be vigilant, have alarms sytems, chains and locks, and even live rounds on a seat, and the truth is, if a thief wants your bike bad enough they will figure out how to get it or destroy it. A friend of mine parked his bike just outside his hotel room in Atlanta last summer and was awakened by his alarm system going off. When he went to check it out, the criminals had gotten discourgaged and just kicked the bike over causing nearly $1200 in damage.

Be careful out there!

Intimidation came work in the wrong way sometimes. The thieves of today loves a challenge. Some will take that hollow point and spent it and lay it where you bike was with a full metal jacket saying, me too.

:newsmile077: makes a person what to have a decoy bike made of C4 in proximity to lure the thieves away....

Once a thief always a thief IMO. If they want our bikes bad enough they will find a way. We can certainly do all we can to deter that, I like Redfish Joes take on this, my way is carry enough insurance to replace your ride, life is TOO short to worry every time I am riding JMO

If there are ANY states where that IS sufficient, please let me know so I can move!!
In Arizona, for instance, you may threaten or used deadly force in the following cases:
  • If a reasonable person would consider his life in immediate danger
  • To stop a rape or attack on another (where a reasonable person would consider the life of the other in immediate danger, including a LEO down and in danger)
  • To stop a 1st degree burglary (burglary of an occupied property): threaten only

The following indicates that you did NOT think your life was in immediate danger:
  • Your experience or capabilities were such that you had a reasonable expectation of handling the situation without resorting to deadly force (opponent assessment, martial arts training, etc.)
  • Shooting from too great a distance (you had other options, like running)
  • You shoot to wound (enough time to consider specific target, so immediacy is reduced: He or his family can and will get serious money from you)

Here is what I'm getting at: You see that 4 guys are loading your scoot into a truck with a 5th guy driving. If you did not have a gun, you would never do anything but yell from a distance allowing you to escape. However, you run right in with gun drawn, and wound one and kill another, and the other 3 got away.

LEO arrives at the scene. Once you are allowed to get up off of the ground, after having been disarmed, you describe what happened. You are arrested. The reason, is that you used deadly force, when it was not justified.

"But, I believed my life was in danger".

"Did any of these guys pull a weapon of any kind?"

"No. But there was so many I was sure if I did not shoot, I was going to be killed."

"Then, why did you engage them instead of keeping your distance and calling us?"

"They were stealing my bike"

"So, you did not think your life was in danger when you engaged them?"

"I guess I didn't think of it like that. I just wanted them to stop stealing my bike"

"Sir, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning. Do you understand these rights as I have stated them to you?"

"Yes, but..."

"Sir, please turn around and put your hands on your head." Now you can look forward to 3 years of your life and a minimum of $150,000, and that is just in self defense and other possible litigation.

...First, you have said too much, without the benefit of counsel. Maybe enough to put you in serious muck. 2nd, Even without your "explanation", you will have a terrible time justifying the threatening of deadly force, much less using it. 3rd, you will have to live with what you have done for the rest of your life, justified in your own mind or not.

I'm not judging. I never go anywhere without my Glock, but it is definitely not a "get out of any trouble free card." Don't carry if you have not fully considered the ins and outs of using it, and the willingness to use it and live with the consequences. You have to know when you can and when you can't, and if you can't you better not. Also, warning shots are absolutely futile and ineffective (don't ask me how I know).

I'm just sayin'...

Enjoy,
Rich P

How about looking at this in a different direction? Where were you staying? Did they provide security? Did you do everything you could to make your bike more "visible?" We always ask the rate at where we stay but how many times have we asked about security?
That is just my opinion.

Back