free website stats program Not 100% American? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not 100% American?

Allowing for world-wide manufacture of components, assume "Made in America" means the mix of foreign and domestic parts current at the time.

Harley Davidson began assembly of its motorcycles in Manaus, Brazil, in 1999. This assembly was from American made components, per the news article.

This appears to be the same setup as just announced for India; assembly from American made components, to begin in 2111.

Is anyone objecting to the Brazil connection?

Allowing for world-wide manufacture of components, assume "Made in America" means the mix of foreign and domestic parts current at the time.

Harley Davidson began assembly of its motorcycles in Manaus, Brazil, in 1999. This assembly was from American made components, per the news article.

This appears to be the same setup as just announced for India; assembly from American made components, to begin in 2111.

Is anyone objecting to the Brazil connection?

They dont make very good bearings, seals or tools IMO and yesterday I replaced a GM control module made in Pakistan of all places, no wonder that GMC would not run:newsmile100:

Fosters made in canukvill? What next outback not an aussie company? Oh btw all the AMF bashers,if it wasnt for them harley probably would not have survived....

It goes way beyond what is listed here. Made in America used to mean the ore was dug up here, it was smelted here, it was formed here, and it was assembled here.

Now in most cases all it really means in the foreign engineer that came here for grad school designed the part for a company here, and the last screw was tightened by someone in this country. Pretty much everything else in the process was done somewhere else.

I do not have a real problem with some parts coming from all over the globe, but I do have a problem with the fact that we can no longer produce anything at all here. We are now a service economy.

Anyone want to look real hard and find something sold in China or Taiwan that was produced here in America and then shipped over there for sale. Good luck, we export almost nothing.

Those facts are why other countries are growing at such a large rate while this country is at a virtual standstill.

Fosters made in canukvill? What next outback not an aussie company? Oh btw all the AMF bashers,if it wasnt for them harley probably would not have survived....

Indeed, we would not have the Evo or a 5 speed They invested millions in the MOCO, but wanted a bigger return by pumping out lesser quality bikes IMO

I love my AMF era Shovelhead. It is my first Harley!

The other day, somebody told me that Harleys, while assembled in American, are not 100% American because they are not American parts. The engines and transmissions are American, but not the rest. Is this true? If so, how do some of you folks feel about it?

This shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone. I'd prefer to buy one made in Canada, but that ain't gonna happen.
When shopping at the dealer for clothes I'll go through the place looking for stuff made this side of the pond, either Canada or U.S.A. I can usually find men's T's made in the U.S, but the women's line is mostly all made in China.

It's annoying to find a China made bandana or do rag at the Harley dealer for $12 or more and then go to the dollar store and pick a plain one up for $1.

Back