free website stats program Nose cone heat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nose cone heat

No unusal noices. I run Spectro oil and have for about two years. I just replaced the electronic ignition went from a HI-4 to a Daytona twin tech.

Its has always run like that ...was wondering if that did the last ignition in.

I was at my dealer today ask him about an oil temp guage. Since mine is an older bike 1996 there isn't one. He said you don't want to know anyway it would just freak you out. I'm curious then anything...if that seemed like a high temp
I fried a Dyna that way and replaced it with the H4 crane but I had the dyna for 2 years and I sent it in to dyna just for curiousity and they sent me a new one with no questions , no reciept and obviously no warranty , NOW that is service
I find the dyna to be more responsive if that helps any

I just had an Oil Temp Gauge installed on my 05 EG. I don't know if the oil temp is a good way to check engine temp. But I figure is may be close. The oil gets hot in the engine. So I think it is a pretty good idea of what the engine temp is. But I could be wrong.

The more I test, measure and check, I have come to the conclusion you must define what the "engine" actually is. The temperature of my 96" is all over the map. The block and oil temperature is one thing but the cylinder and head temperature is way something else. I use a high grade lab mercury 14" stick thermometer that has +- 1 degree tolerance. Even after blasting on the freeway for 45 minutes, coming to a stop and letting it idle for 5 minutes with no moving air, I rarely see my oil temperature above 235F. But if I check the head temp or upper jug area, I am above 300F.
As long as I have good air flow past the cylinders, I will rarely see above 245F at the heads and upper jugs.

I would say 265F at the nose cone is not crazy high but I am basing that answer on a late model 96". I also would agree that oil and block temperature will be close to each other. It would be interesting to see what the oil temp was when the nose cone was 265F.

Back