free website stats program Nose cone heat | Harley Davidson Forums

Nose cone heat

pgcris

I've been curious for awhile about how hot the nose cone area is getting. Seems to be real hot, and stay hot long after I'm done riding. I checked it today after a ride . The temperature outside was about 91 deg. The cone about an inch from the block was about 265 deg as was the base of the cylinders . Does this sound like a good temp?

Thanks

I've been curious for awhile about how hot the nose cone area is getting. Seems to be real hot, and stay hot long after I'm done riding. I checked it today after a ride . The temperature outside was about 91 deg. The cone about an inch from the block was about 265 deg as was the base of the cylinders . Does this sound like a good temp?

Could be. That would not be an unusual high temperature for the oil to hit especially there in the nose cone on a hot day without a cooler and especially in stop-and-go traffic. But a question or two:

• You are not hearing any unusual noises out of the noise cone, right?
  • What kind of oil are you running?
  • This is the way the bike has always run, right?

TQ

No unusal noices. I run Spectro oil and have for about two years. I just replaced the electronic ignition went from a HI-4 to a Daytona twin tech.

Its has always run like that ...was wondering if that did the last ignition in.

I was at my dealer today ask him about an oil temp guage. Since mine is an older bike 1996 there isn't one. He said you don't want to know anyway it would just freak you out. I'm curious then anything...if that seemed like a high temp

I hit the outside metal of the nose cone about an inch from the block with a inferred temp guage ...just wondering if 265 sounds hot

I hit the outside metal of the nose cone about an inch from the block with a inferred temp guage ...just wondering if 265 sounds hot

Not really. The temp in the reservoir is gonna be lower than the oil that has just made a pass by all the really hot spots on the engine.

TQ

No unusal noices. I run Spectro oil and have for about two years. I just replaced the electronic ignition went from a HI-4 to a Daytona twin tech.

I was at my dealer today ask him about an oil temp guage. Since mine is an older bike 1996 there isn't one. He said you don't want to know anyway it would just freak you out. I'm curious then anything...if that seemed like a high temp

You have a dealer that doesn't want to sell you something? If there is a temp guage for your model it won't hurt to know what your engine is doing. The more info you have on what is going on in your engine the happier you'll be. MHO.

I just had an Oil Temp Gauge installed on my 05 EG. I don't know if the oil temp is a good way to check engine temp. But I figure is may be close. The oil gets hot in the engine. So I think it is a pretty good idea of what the engine temp is. But I could be wrong.

Heat is the biggest destroyer of ignition parts, it seems a lot of after market ignitions can not take the heat, I have seen crane and dynas fail early from too much heat, that been said I wonder what The MOCO does so as not to have as many failures?

Back