free website stats program Noise in front | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise in front

Copper grease, good idea I guess but have never used it so can't comment. Sounds to me like the pistons are not retracting enough and are forcing the pads to remain in contact with the rotors as 89stroker experienced. Take the advice of fin_676 and clean the pistons, carefully as you don't want to push them completely out of the caliper.

Get a piece of 1/8" aluminum flat stock and insert it between the pads. Use the lever to force the pistons out to the aluminum stock. You will see the dirty vs clean part of the pistons. Soak a shoe lace in brake clean, get the shoe lace in there and clean each piston. Apply a little WD40 and the pistons will start retracting as they should to stop the pad drag on the rotor.:s

If dolt has had good luck with WD 40 over time it is hard to argue against success. However, WD 40 is petroleum based and may not be so good for the rubber seals. I clean the pistons and lube them with brake fluid. I know the rubber parts are made with brake fluid in mind and it works pretty well.

do you hear a slight buzzing sound? This would be the floating rotors if you have them

No, there is no buzzing that i have detected. Hmmmm, floating rotors is a new one on me. I dont think so. How do I tell? I have the same rotors that came on the bike stock acording to all the pics of other bikes I have looked at. The rotors are a one piece machining just like the old days unless the floating mechanism is integrated very close to the hub and not obvious. Sounds interesting...

WD 40 is petroleum based and may not be so good for the rubber seals. .

WD40 is not petroleum based as I have been told. It is fish oil based. Story goes the Navy? was looking for a waterproofer of some special requirement and they finally nailed it on the 40th test...

sorta smells like fish, EH?

flame on

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the formula for WD40 has remained a secret for the 50 years since introduction but the MSDS will confirm that there is no fish oil in the formula. The “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement but WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal. I have no issues with WD-40 coming in contact with rubber seals. When I was racing in the dirt, I had three bikes for different events; two Husqvarnas, 125cc and 360cc and a 250cc CanAm. After an event the bikes went throught the car wash and were completely soaked in WD40 to displace the water; never had an issue with any rubber components on the bikes.:coffee

Back