free website stats program no rear brakes !!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

no rear brakes !!!!

The rear M/C and brake system is tough to bleed without a partner. Never had any success doing it solo, but when my gal is pressing the pedal and tells me just before she hits the stop to "close" (prompting me to turn bleeder off), it has worked everytime. Helps to have a pillion partner who understands and provides the extra hand (and foot) as well as mind to bounce ideas off of...!

The rear M/C and brake system is tough to bleed without a partner. Never had any success doing it solo, but when my gal is pressing the pedal and tells me just before she hits the stop to "close" (prompting me to turn bleeder off), it has worked everytime. Helps to have a pillion partner who understands and provides the extra hand (and foot) as well as mind to bounce ideas off of...!

So far i have managed by stretching over from the right side of the sportster with one hand on the spanner and foot on brake pedal been about a year since i last did it but seem to be less subtle by the day
Big twin is easier on knees on right side of bike left hand on spanner right hand on brake pedal just got to get the coordination right

Brian

hello again , i used a vacuum bleed kit i got from the auto parts store , has some cups lids hoses and fittings and a hand pump . ive used it many times in cars and bike , only cost like 30.00 money well spent in my opinion

I changed the front brake line on my sporty when I put on my 16" apes.Had the same problem,couldn't get the brake pumped up.Me an my buddy tried for a half hour,took a break,came back and had brakes.Never could figure that one out,but it's been 2 months an still got good brakes.

Likely there were so many air bubbles from all the fluid agitation that once you left well enough alone, the bubbles finally merged and settled near the highest point, and bubbled out the master cylinder when you reapplied the brakes several times later on.

Same thing happens when you do the front and lots of air trapped through out the system...when you pin the lever applying the brakes overnight, those air bubbles get a chance to merge and settle near the top. When you do the tapping of the hoses and fittings, it moves the bubbles up and out, which you will see in the master cylinder...a few modest pumps will purge the last bubbles out.

Glad you got it working......My problem ? 1999 Dyna that I'm babysitting for my brother. On a test ride, I discovered rear brake pedal went all the way down with no braking. Filled fluid level with DOT 5 and checked for leaks (no leaks) .Followed line to rear brakes and had fluid when I pulled the line. Could the brakes just be stuck open from lack of use? Thanks to all you can help. I'm new to this community but look forward to being involved...

Glad you got it working......My problem ? 1999 Dyna that I'm babysitting for my brother. On a test ride, I discovered rear brake pedal went all the way down with no braking. Filled fluid level with DOT 5 and checked for leaks (no leaks) .Followed line to rear brakes and had fluid when I pulled the line. Could the brakes just be stuck open from lack of use? Thanks to all you can help. I'm new to this community but look forward to being involved...

From a document that Jack just posted.

Master Cylinder Bypass Test
If you suspect an internal leak in the master cylinder, perform the
master cylinder bypass test. If, while the brake pedal is being
pressed slowly, the BRAKE warning lamp comes on, but there is no
indication of loss of reservoir fluid, the master cylinder may have an
internal leak.
Check the brake fluid level in the reservoirs and add fluid as
necessary. Observe the reservoir. Push the pedal all the way down
one stroke and release it. If the level of fluid in the reservoir rises
while the pedal is being applied and falls when the pedal is released,
the brake fluid is bypassing the pistons. The master cylinder should
be repaired or replaced.
As a further check, hold the pedal down firmly for two minutes. If the
pedal feels firm for the first minute then fades, the brake fluid is
bypassing the pistons.
__________________ Check this out and let us know:s

Ummm this thread is like a year old . you should start a new thread stating your problem and get answers .

Back