free website stats program No feeling when downshifting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No feeling when downshifting

Well I think by everyone's feedback that there is nothing major going on. Thanks all!

IF it is NOT shifting and you are allowing the Ratchet to move to its RE-shift position and NOT shifting, You may have a Problem... May be the adjustment of the shifting forks and that may need to be looked at...

WE know it Ain't the Lube:D

signed....BUBBIE

Adjustment of the shifting forks... that does not sound like an easy fix? Thanks BUBBIE!
IF it is NOT shifting and you are allowing the Ratchet to move to its RE-shift position and NOT shifting, You may have a Problem... May be the adjustment of the shifting forks and that may need to be looked at...

WE know it Ain't the Lube:D

signed....BUBBIE

5 & 6 speeds have No adjustments for the shift forks. Only the old 4 speeds did.
tourbox

Am I Wrong? Man that would be Only the umpteenth time:55:

I used to set the play between sides of the amount of Play and Position of the gear shifting (as one unit)

Putting shifter into 3 gear then adjust the Threaded bolt that was locked on the side of the tranny.
This adjustment allowed my gears to work properly on the shift up OR down.

I had a time when my 00 5 speed need this adjustment so it would shift into the next gear (sucked in) while down shifting...

NOW looking at the 6 speed I'd agree (no outside adjustment there, just a allen headed bolt) I actually had to go look at my 09 King, as I never had a Factory 6 speed before.

Oh well:dknow

Thanks for the correction tourbox BUT if you would please,
explain the side adjustment on the 5 speed if not for adjusting the fork bar positioning I did there.?

I Do remember making that adjustment on my 00 5 speed tranny.... ALSO,,,,when installing a rev tech 6 speed gear set into My 00 HD box...
Having a BIG problem trying to get that threaded bolt adjusted Then Holding the adjustment made while tightening the lock nut... Tight place to work there for sure.

That adjustment allowed the fine-tuning I needed to shift the gears to make it work correctly...

Kinda like this example:

xxx-3-xx or xx-3-xxx

The 3 being 3rd gear and the adjuster screw moving the "x" location to allow one side or the other positioning adjustment.:D

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE, the adjusting screw you were turning adjust the spacing on the shifter shaft. you do this in 3rd. gear as you stated. What you are doing is to align the little arms of the shifter shaft for even spacing on the pins of the end of the shifter cam. This gives equal travel for the rotation of the shifter cam. I believe the book calls for no more than 0.010 difference between the little arms and the pin. Almost impossible to measure. I'm sure the little arms have a better name for them, but that's all I could of. If you look at a parts diagram for earlier 5 speeds under gear shifter you can see it better than I can explain.
On the 4 speeds there were shims that you added or removed to get the correct spacing of the shift forks in relationship to the clutch gears they moved. The shims were on the shaft that holds the shift forks. Hope this explains it better?
tourbox

Back