free website stats program No feeling when downshifting | Harley Davidson Forums

No feeling when downshifting

Biffy08

2008 FLHT stock trans. 6 speed, currently about 4000 miles on Redline Heavy Shockproof trans fluid.

The following is happening sporadically: At operating temperature, when downshifting from 6th down, with multiple operations of the lever, I get know feeling of gears. I will let the clutch out slightly, then pull back in and attempt to downshift again, and the gear feeling comes back. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Can you still feel spring pressure on the lever returning it to the center position?
Or is the lever sticking down or up? The linkage from the lever to the transmission could be binding. Quite common is lack of lube where the shift lever shaft is at the front of the footboard.

I don't feel any pressure, though the lever is not binding. It seems to shift down but does not change gears. But when I release the clutch slightly, engage it again, the gears are there.

Can you still feel spring pressure on the lever returning it to the center position?
Or is the lever sticking down or up? The linkage from the lever to the transmission could be binding. Quite common is lack of lube where the shift lever shaft is at the front of the footboard.

It is "at speed". It feels like it does the first downshift, but if I want to downshift 2 gears without releasing the clutch, I have no feeling of the second gear.

Is the bike moving or standing still while you are shifting and having this problem. I know this sounds bizarre but if you are standing still, it's probably that the gears aren't engaging as when it's rolling.

It seems odd that you are down shifting more than one gear at speed????
Are you properly matching gear to speed versus terrain you are traveling??? These transmissions need a firm application of shift lever to shift both up and down. At times you will not feel the engagement of each individual gear when trying to have multiple downshifts and you may only hear a click. When letting out the clutch after multiple down shifts what happens???
6th gear should not be used till above 65 mph. Usually multiple down shifts when stopping will work for you are slowing bike down..

Maybe I'm starting to understand. You are riding along at 60 mph in 6th gear.
A stop is coming up, you pull clutch, push down and feel 5th engage, then push again without moving the clutch lever for 4th, but do not feel it engage, again for 3rd and don't feel it engage either?
It is like shifting gears when the bike is not moving or shut off? If so, slightly release the clutch lever, and the gearset should align, and shift to the next gear.

Exactly!!! I am sorry for the confusion.

A stop is coming up, you pull clutch, push down and feel 5th engage, then push again without moving the clutch lever for 4th, but do not feel it engage, again for 3rd and don't feel it engage either?
It is like shifting gears when the bike is not moving or shut off? If so, slightly release the clutch lever, and the gearset should align, and shift to the next gear.

What I see... Maybe TRY this ALSO:

I'm Saying; the Shifter IS on a RATCHET and Needs to be totally allowed to RETURN to IT'S centered Position (un-hindered) Before it will shift again....

Take your foot/toe OFF the shifter and then put foot/toe back onto shifter position, try again for that (ONE) other gear at a Time...:dknow

Now does it work?

signed....BUBBIE

added: At Least you are using the best Gear Lube:D

I don't think I am "resting" my foot on the lever during shifts but I will check this out. And yes about the lube. i remember you ranting how good the stuff is!:newsmile029:
What I see... Maybe TRY this ALSO:

I'm Saying; the Shifter IS on a RATCHET and Needs to be totally allowed to RETURN to IT'S centered Position (un-hindered) Before it will shift again....

Take your foot/toe OFF the shifter and then put foot/toe back onto shifter position, try again for that (ONE) other gear at a Time...:dknow

Now does it work?

signed....BUBBIE

added: At Least you are using the best Gear Lube:D

Back