free website stats program no brake light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

no brake light

ok, pretty sure the problem is in the front brake lever however, i pulled the brake lever and am know scratching my head. where is the switch? i dont see any wires coming from anything on either brake lever. this might be a dumb question, but im totally lost now.

ok, pretty sure the problem is in the front brake lever however, i pulled the brake lever and am know scratching my head. where is the switch? i dont see any wires coming from anything on either brake lever. this might be a dumb question, but im totally lost now.
The switch is in the housing, not on the lever. You'll see a button coming out of the housing where the lever contacts. When you put it back together make sure you have the brake lever shimmed out a little bit or you will shear off the tit on the brake light switch. You can use a strip of cardboard or end of a plastic tie,(need something around 5/32'') insert it between the brake lever and lever bracket.

ok found that switch in the housing. it doesn't appeared sheared, but seems almost flush with the housing and it doesn't move in or out. The lever does stay in contact with switch when released, and pulls away when depressed. Is this normal or is that a stuck switch? what are my options to replace that? Also where is the foot pedal brake switch? thanks everyone for helping me through this problem.

ok found that switch in the housing. it doesn't appeared sheared, but seems almost flush with the housing and it doesn't move in or out. The lever does stay in contact with switch when released, and pulls away when depressed. Is this normal or is that a stuck switch? what are my options to replace that? Also where is the foot pedal brake switch? thanks everyone for helping me through this problem.
The switch is like a button switch, when it's out the brake lights are on and when you push it in the brake lights are off. There is a little metal V clip inside the housing that keeps the switch in place, so the switch is held tight up against the housing. If you have the lever off and housing still on handlebars, turn the ign. on and push the button in on the brake light switch, does the taillight do anything? If the switch is bad it's a bear to replace but if your good with solder & shrink tube you can do it. I think the rear brake light switch is on the lower right hand side of the bike, behind the trans., just follow the rear brake line and you'll find it.

As Chopper says, the copper collor metal Vclip spring is probably lying on the bottom shell of the switch housing, or has fallen all the way to the garage floor. The little nib pushes against the brake lever, the V clip pushes goes between the switch housing and shell opposite the nib if I remember correctly...very easy to lose that clip, hopefully it is still there or got lodged in the switch wiring.

the clip is in there, but i think it is all froze up. there is no movement in the switch. tried to put a screw driver in the clip and push it out, no movement. guess its time to go to the dealership for a part. does anyone else carry those?

The clip only holds the switch in position in the housing, does not have real significance if it is in there doing its' job. When you depress the brake lever does the nib protruding get pushed in flush to the switch shaft. Could be someone removed the housing without shimming the lever and broke or flattened the nib.

Back