free website stats program no brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

no brake light

robss74

I have a 2006 night train and have no brake light either with front or rear brakes actuated. I changed the bulb with no luck, checked fuses no luck. trying to find a good wiring diagram before i start tearing stuff up. does anyone have a link to one or have any ideas?

Common to both circuits is the wiring from the fuse block (battery power source), and the single wiring going from that main harness routed under the fender above the rear tire to the brakelight & license plate connections.

I would bet that the rear tire or foreign object has bent the wire loom either crushing or cutting the wire so no power to the light so it does not work. Shine a flashlight up in there and you will see what I mean...:(

Use the basic diagram as a guide...

Wiringdiag.jpg

Does that particular model have a rear brake sensor? I've had 3 go out on my sporty.( My brake light did work when using the front brake lever).

I would check wires under the rear fender like NEWHD74FAN suggested first. If you can't see a break I would use a tester and check from the plug under the seat to brake light for a open or if you don't have a tester you can unplug the connector under the seat that runs wires to your tail light and use a 12 volt test light at that plug while you press the brake with the ignition on, that will tell you if the problem is before or after that point. Another common thing that happens sometimes, the front brake light switch will not make contact with the lever and the brake light will be stuck on all the time making it look like it is not working, you can take the lens cover off the taillight and see if both filaments are lit up.

Do you have the 'Brake light Modulator' on it. The one that makes your turn signals brake/turn lights?

Yes i have the red tail blinkers that are stock on the bike. I believe they function as brake lights.

thank you all for your advice, i will get to digging into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so far i have read all the wires from under the seat back and found no brakes. does anyone know which wire from the handle bars is the brake wire?

ok so far i have read all the wires from under the seat back and found no brakes. does anyone know which wire from the handle bars is the brake wire?

Did you use a test light as others suggested to determine if you have power at the rear light?If no power follow the brake light wire to the plug at the front of the rear fender.Is there power at the plug?

i checked for power under the seat, no joy. i checked for power at handle bars where they go under the tank, no joy. i have one wire off the right hand side that stays hot whenever the ignition switch is on. not sure what that is but none of the other wires had juice with or without the brake lever pressed.

i checked for power under the seat, no joy. i checked for power at handle bars where they go under the tank, no joy. i have one wire off the right hand side that stays hot whenever the ignition switch is on. not sure what that is but none of the other wires had juice with or without the brake lever pressed.

At this point we need to know if you have a DMM or test light, and if you have a schematic. Below is a rudimentry one that shows power source, iginition switch and yellow source wire feeding the switch to tail light assy to ground.

Wiringdiag.jpg

Unfortunately the color code may not match your bike, nor does it tell you the routing without the service manual help to show you where the access points (connectors) are to ohmout (DMM) or to use test light.

Back