free website stats program Nightster warm up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster warm up

It's not really necessary on a fuel injected bike. However you don't want to rev high until it's warmed up. That's just common for any motor vehicle though. It has to do with oil temp.

Looks to me like you boys are talking bout a nice sunny summer morning, ya sure 30 seconds is fine. I would like to know bout those mornings up here in the great white north where its 40 cold some mornings and you have to get to work. I don't think a quick 30 seconds is sufficent warmup before you get the wheels rolling on the way to work.

Looks to me like you boys are talking bout a nice sunny summer morning, ya sure 30 seconds is fine. I would like to know bout those mornings up here in the great white north where its 40 cold some mornings and you have to get to work. I don't think a quick 30 seconds is sufficent warmup before you get the wheels rolling on the way to work.

It's actually perfectly fine on a fuel injected motorcycle.

I've been told by more than one person ( a couple of which work on bikes for a living ) and by professional tech's that the 2-3 minute/mile rule is suggested. warm it up 2-3 minutes and ride easy til fully warm, or let oil get circulating fully ( takes longer when cold ) and ride easy til warmed up. As in any internal combustion engine, you should never race the engine til warmed up. Carburetion or injection does not change this.

New to harleys,but that is my understanding too Murf,tolerances between engine components come right when the motor is warmed up,& the oil is fully circulated,always good too to let the last half mile or so of a ride be gentle if you have been riding it hard.

Just My Way to HIT the Highway but May NOT fit your way

I warm my bike up Differently at times,,,,,, Depends on circumstances ... But I Warm it thoroughly before riding anywhere Near Hard.

Remember you have MORE than the engine to warm:

Tranny, Primary/Clutch , Belt and Tires/Tyres are amongst the many moving parts that NEED Warming.

IF a very Early morning start at a motel, I have pushed my bike out to the road and then started it, placing the pipes away from the Echo off the rooms.

Get OIL pressure and some FLOW Up before I ride off GENTLY.
ALWAYS gently until totally warm.

The Time Varies because of the MANY different scenarios that play out.

The Biggest one is the outside temperatures and IF the bikes (oil) is Really Cold or at a warmer room (garage ) temps before the start-up.

The starting of a motor, especially a COLD or very HOT motor is when the MOST Wear is put on it.

Todays Synthetics Help to lube early and flow faster, easier, than dino oil when Cold.

Each Rider has their OWN WAY to do the simple thing of starting off on their bike... None are perfect but YET it's Their Own.:newsmile03:

The saying "Different Strokes for Different Folks" applies Here.

signed....BUBBIE

Most EVO oil leaks are due to not warming up the motor, the rear rocker box and head gasket will leak first, TC motors I start, put gloves on click it in gear and roll in first gear for about a block, I have seem way to many evo oil leaks and have fixed them, that said each his own

Back