free website stats program Nightster warm up | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster warm up

tomd922

I just purchased my first HD. I want to commute to work but this thing has aftermarket pipes and it's really loud! I love the sound but my neighbors not so much. My question is: how long should I let my bike warm up before I take off? I leave at 6am and if I start it and take right off my neighbors won't complain too much but if I let it sit there and warm up I may have issues.

I just purchased my first HD. I want to commute to work but this thing has aftermarket pipes and it's really loud! I love the sound but my neighbors not so much. My question is: how long should I let my bike warm up before I take off? I leave at 6am and if I start it and take right off my neighbors won't complain too much but if I let it sit there and warm up I may have issues.

welcome to the forum. what year is the bike? is it an older Evo?

I leave the house at 4:20 a.m. most mornings to be in work by five. I wake my son up with the garage door opening. He lives above the garage. :( His choice. Then, I start my bike and wait no more than 30 seconds while I fiddle with last minute adjustments like the helmet strap, closing the garage door, fastening on my gloves, etc.. Then I gently pull out of my driveway and down the road being mindful of my sleeping neighbors. I've received no complaints. There is a time to get on the throttle and then there is a time not to get on the throttle and 4:20 a.m. is not one of those times! :D

With the TCs, you do not need to warm up the engine prior to heading out. The "warm up the engine" issue is a hold over from the EVO which does need to have a warm up period so that the engine top end swells enough to tighten up on the base gaskets. The TC does not have that issue. So a few seconds towards a half min or so is enough to get the oil pressure up and circulating. Then I would be a bit pampery with the bike for the first few miles. Once the valve covers are warm to the touch, good to GO!!

TQ

I agree that no warm up is needed if you just gently ride until the engine is warm. I never warm my bikes more than a few seconds before pulling out.

I think you are "A" Most Considerate Biker.

I Too keep Quiet and Like said in the above post, Start and 30 seconds max, Off Slow using a light throttle...Just like You.

You will have to give the up-stairs guy some Ear-plugs. :tounge

signed....BUBBIE

I think you are "A" Most Considerate Biker.

I Too keep Quiet and Like said in the above post, Start and 30 seconds max, Off Slow using a light throttle...Just like You.

You will have to give the up-stairs guy some Ear-plugs. :tounge

signed....BUBBIE
Heh, heh. He is living there dirt cheap so I think my opening the garage door and disturbing his slumber is a small price to pay. :D
I think we are light on the throttle because we are considerate of our neighbors as most of us seem to be. But on the open road it's another story! :s

Last edited:
Back