free website stats program niagara falls ride report | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

niagara falls ride report

I finally have some time. I am sitting in the Comfort Inn 200' from the Harley dealer on a Sunday night. We will hit the dealer in the morning. I have never seen so many lakes with no houses or boats on them. We are having fishing withdrall. The moose only attack after dark. They could have saved money by posting where there are no moose. We had the temp changs from 85F to 60f 20 times in 100 miles, very strange.

Did you eat at the "Antlers" in Mi - Sault St Marie, very cool.

no we did not eat there. i had no idea it was even there. looks very cool. how was the road work on the north side of lake superior?

Day twelve:

we woke up to find it pouring rain outside. and we parked our bikes under the front entrance overhang of the hotel. it worked nice for my dads bike but mine was soaked. oh well a little rain never hurt no one. we ate breakfast at the hotel and then we were off to duluth. it was raining so hard that on some of the city streets we were riding through 6" of water. once back on the highway i was a little nervous. we were behind this U-haul truck some distance and i noticed a constant spray of water going off into the ditch about 30 ft or so. there was a lot of water on the road. so we rode on the high spots and were extra carful.

we crossed back into the U.S with ease. the border guard was very nice and just asked how our vacation was going. its nice when we get treated like we belong in our own country.

the rain never let up for the next couple of hours. and the wind was blowing too. i did not mind the wind because it was clearing off my face shield with every blow.

it was too bad it was raining and cold because hwy 61 on the north shore in MN has a lot to see and do. we got cold and did not want to stop.

when we were filling up with gas at silver bay a guy approached me and asked which way we were heading. I said to Duluth. he smiled and said good luck. he told us of a section of road that they have not graded for a while and the rain and traffic caused it to be terrible. and he was right. it was the worst road i have ever seen. there were pot holes everywhere that were up to a foot deep. i bottomed out a couple of times. oh and of course it had been raining so it was all muddy. the mud was not any concern it was the holes in the road. i had to basically walk the bike while my wife walked. we were not holding anyone up because no one could go any faster. people were shaking their heads in disgust and looking angry. there were no workers present and it was the middle of the week. what made it even worse was at the end of the road work all the graders were parked off the side of the road looking like they were mocking us. we were so mad. some one could have gotten killed because there was no warning of how bad the road was and the speed limits said 45mph. we were lucky that some one gave us a heads up.

after a quick look at the bikes we found nothing that seemed to be wrong so we were off. we got into duluth at 1pm because the time zone change and got a room down on canal park. duluth is a vary cool city with days of things to do. we come here a lot.

we ate dinner at Grandmas (a must do if you are in the area) and as we were walking out we saw an old friend walking in. small world. we talked and exchanged numbers to meet up later. (he had not eaten yet). so my dad, wife, and i went to another bar were we meet up with a friend of my wife's from high school. our old friend, Shawn, cane out and we all had a great time. we ended the night very late or should i say early in the morning.

sorry not a lot of pics. the rain kept the camera away.

Attachments

• DSC07604.jpg
    DSC07604.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC07605.jpg
    DSC07605.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 19
Day thirteen: the last day

every time a trip like this is about to end we all get really quiet. either we all are tired and want to get home or we are sad because it is coming to an end. for me it is sad. I get so excited right before i leave for a trip and the last day is the worst. :newsmile08:

there are a lot of shops on Canal park so we went looking through them for a while. bought a couple of stickers and we were off. my dad and i started collecting stickers from were we have been on the bikes. we put them on the inside of the trunk.

Hinkley MN was even more sad. thats where my dad parted from us to go to his house. i did not want it to end. a couple of hours later we got home safe and the trip was over.

so in all the trip was a success. bikes ran perfect with no issues. we seen a lot of things, made a lot of good memories, and came home safe. a total of thirteen days, five states/providences, two great countries, and 2,841 miles.

thank you to all who have chimed in and read this. it keeps the memories going longer when i can write this down. hopefully you all have enjoyed it. it gives me ideas and inspiration when i read others so i hope this can do the same.

Attachments

• DSC07096.jpg
    DSC07096.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC07606.jpg
    DSC07606.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10
no we did not eat there. i had no idea it was even there. looks very cool. how was the road work on the north side of lake superior?

We did not see any pot holes, but we did see a lot of fresh patches that could have been them. We rolled into Duluth at 5:00pm today. The traffic was BAD and dangerous. Very HOT outside right now. We did not see any swamp donkys.

We did not see any pot holes, but we did see a lot of fresh patches that could have been them. We rolled into Duluth at 5:00pm today. The traffic was BAD and dangerous. Very HOT outside right now. We did not see any swamp donkys.

swim in the lake to cool off. go across the lift bridge and continue on for a couple of miles until the road ends at an air port. there is parking along side the road just before it. nice sandy beaches. on the lake side.

Just read through all the posts, all were right on the mark (no pun intended). The only part you left out was your amazingly quick recovery on the last night in Duluth:p. I'm already thinking about next years trip. Hmmmmmm east again, ....... West, maybe south. Anywhere we go I know it will be a great ride with the best of company. Thank you my son for a wonderful 2011 trip!:D

Oh and of course my beautiful daughter-in-law.

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be a great enjoyment to be able to travel with your son and daughter in law. Travel safe and hope that you have a great smmer and thanks for coming to visit Ontario
Ken

Marcus,
Truly enjoyed following your adventure, glad everyone made it home save with no mis-adventures. Makes the BETTER HALF and I look forward to our pending roadtrip even more.
Have a great summer an savor the memories.
Bill

Back