free website stats program niagara falls ride report | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

niagara falls ride report

Day seven:

Day seven started out a little late. the curtains over the windows worked really well. so we all got up thinking "wow is it really noon?" its our vacation so i guess we can sleep in a little.

we went out in search of food. found a little diner that still served breakfast at 1pm. got some expensive food and we were on our way back to the U.S. everything is expensive in Niagara Falls.

the border crossing was one of the worst crossings i have had. the guy seemed to hate his life and take his authority out on us. he gave my wife a hard time because her passport picture had different hair than now. passports are good for 10 years and women do cut and change their hair color.

anyway, we entered into the state of New York. a place none of us have ever been. we wanted to see the falls from the U.S. side. so we parked both the bikes for the price of one car because they fit in one spot. really nice of the attendant to suggest that. and it cheered me up from the i hate my life border guard. the state park was big and we all got our exercise in for the day because we walked everywhere. the views were really cool. we could feel the power of the water when we stood within feet of the falls. got some good pictures and decided that was good enough.

my wife wanted to head in to the state more just to really say we were here. so be headed to Buffalo. we didn't know where or what we wanted to do. so we head out and and immediately find ourselves lost in a neighborhood that I did not want to stop and ask for directions. soon enough we found a gas station and asked a kind lady how to get to I-190. she told us and we were off to Buffalo.

once in Buffalo we saw this park off the interstate right on the river that looked like a nice place to stop and relax. the only problem was getting to it from the interstate. so we exited and again found ourselves in a neighborhood that i did not want to stop and ask for directions. we must have turned around four or more times and eventually found a border patrol officer. he gave us simple directions and we were off once again. by this time I was getting a good idea of how the roads went and found the park on the river. the border patrol officer was not even close on his directions. oh well we found it.

it was a nice little park that overlooked the river and the city. but by this time we all were getting hungry. downtown Buffalo seemed like a good area to find some restaurants. so we traveled on and found a fire station downtown with its doors open. so we stopped in and introduced ourselves. they gave us a tour of their really old cool station. Im a fire fighter in st. cloud, MN so we swapped information to exchange some shirts. very nice people. they advised us to eat at the Pearl Street Grill and Brewery.

the Grill and Brewery was fantastic. they brewed their own beer and it was some of the best beer I have ever tasted. oh and the food was good too. if you are ever in that area go there.

it was getting late so we headed back to Niagara falls and caught some good pictures of the sun going down. once back in Canada we stopped at a couple of bars and enjoyed some music and each others company. we knew the next day was going to be a longer day of riding so we ended the night a little early.

pics from day seven:

Attachments

• DSC07466.jpg
    DSC07466.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07486.jpg
    DSC07486.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07502.jpg
    DSC07502.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07516 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07516 - Version 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07528.jpg
    DSC07528.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
more pics from day seven:

Attachments

• DSC07540.jpg
    DSC07540.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07544 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07544 - Version 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 23
That was a great night. Gotta start thinking about where we'll be going next year.

=================================================

And the Raccoon that Brittney named Meeko. If anyone is contemplating a trip to the falls I say 'TAKE IT". This was a great trip. It was really special to be able to enjoy it with my kids! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like fun Marcus! I could have warned you about Buffalo. :) I went up there after a storm just a few years ago and got paid to drive aimlessly about, and occasionally stop & fix some cable. :s I wanted to try a lot of places, but we couldn't because a lot of places didn't have power, but we still had fun. The day we left, I convinced the guys that we should go to Niagara Falls, (a couple of them had never been & I don't think they even looked at a map because they had no idea they were that close). We went up there & walked around the U.S. side a while before we hit the road home.

I successfully convinced the guys that it would not be a good idea to drive the company trucks onto they Canadian side, and yes, a couple of them really wanted to try that. (I know that when we took the air show trailer into Canada we had to do an inventory sheet in and out of the country, & the cable trucks had a lot of 'stuff'). :s

But, there were a lot of things in Buffalo I would have loved to been able to check out the Pierce Arrow Car Museum. :s

Pierce-Arrow Museum, Buffalo, NY Pictures by Travel Photo Base

Buffalo Transportation Museum

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Day Eight:

Day eight was going to be one of our longest days of riding. 311 miles about. but it was faster than some of the shorter days because we were on highways for the most part doing 70-75 mph. our goal was to make it to Sudbury.

we thought we would get a good deal on breakfast by going to this place that advertised $6.99 all you can eat buffet. well, water was $3.00 and milk or juice was more. i was not very happy.

after breakfast we were on our way. the QEW was an interesting road. speed limit was only around 62mph and no one was going even close to that. there were so many cars and i knew the population in the area was big, so i was waiting for traffic to come to a stop. but it never did. it flowed well and after a short detour (on my part) we were out of the cities and in the country.

we stopped for gas and munchies at gas station just south of Barrie. wile we were resting we herd this terrible clunk clunk clunk sound. i looked over and saw this girl and her mom driving about 1mph on her rim. i asked my dad "do you think she blew it on the highway and drove on it all the way here?". he responded "sure looks like it." so we went over to try and help. we had plenty of tools between my dad and i so i knew we could help. but after about 45 min of trying to get the spare off we found out they needed a special tool to get it off. and of course they did not have it. what ever happened to a simple nut and bolt. sometimes i wonder what those engineers are thinking when they design a car.

we said we were sorry we couldn't help and parted ways. back on the road i started to think about my rear tire. i knew it was getting close to changing. so i thought i will have the dealer in Sudbury change it. well we stopped for ice cream about an hour outside of Sudbury and ran into two bikers. they told me not to get a tire there because it would cost and arm and a leg. over $500 Canadian dollars for the rear tire and labor. i said no way it can last to Thunder bay. very nice guys though. we sat and talked for about an hour and then parted ways. it was kinda funny one was on a harley and the other a Kawasaki. the harley was quiet and the Kawasaki was louder than loud. unusual but cool.

the ride up to Sudbury was cool because the road cuts through the granite hills and exposes walls of colorful granite. way cool to see the lines in it.

we found a nice room at the super 8 and went out to a local bar for dinner and drinks. it was a resting night so we ended it early.

Attachments

• DSC07550.jpg
    DSC07550.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC07551 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07551 - Version 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 18
Back