free website stats program Newby Needs Advice About Early Twin Cam Bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newby Needs Advice About Early Twin Cam Bearings

Welcome from NW Indiana. On my 05' Wide Glide, I used to take the oil filters apart and look for orange particles in the pleats. The shoes are orange. You can always take the timer cover off, and look at the shoes directly.

Looking like Sam Ting may be a hit/run poster.:confused:
Why? I did reply to your first post, and thanked you for your input, but it would seem to have disappeared. I expressed my dissatisfaction with Harley Davidson's product support. I do have the Magnetti Morelli injection system, and I have been made aware of the difficulty in finding support for it. Does anyone know of someone in the Denver area who is capable, qualified, and willing to work on it? Luckily, it is running okay so far.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it did disappear because it isn't here. I would have liked to hear what you have to say about HDs product support though.

Mile High HD in Aurora; near DIA right off I-70 at Tower Road. They have one of the best tuners around Denver, from what I have heard. Might want to call them and talk to Jason in service...he is the tuner there and can tell you if he is MM knowledgeable or recommend you to a tuner that is. 303-343-3300.

If the motor is running well, no need to mess with it but if the motor is bone stock you should at least take it to Stage I level, i.e. better exhaust and hi-flow A/F, the motor will need to be tuned with those upgrades. Add a baby cam like the SE203, 204 or S&S 509 (better choice IMHO) and you will have something.;)

Thank you for your input doit and thank you all for the warm welcomes I have gotten here. As I said before, I don't need anything right away. I think I'll go into the spring riding season completely stock. It is comforting to know that my situation is not as bad as some have told me it is.

At 10K miles, that is probably a safe decision but just for peace of mind you might consider opening the cam chest and taking a look at tensioner wear. The outer tensioner in my '05 FXSTD catastrophically failed at 12K miles. I dodged that bullet because as soon as I heard the noise, I stopped riding and started looking for the source. The tenioner pad was down to the metal carrier. Of course, your call but waiting is a gamble considering the rear cam bearing issue for that year and the tensioner issue that plagued many HD owners through the 2006 model year. As always, JMHO; your ride, you decide.;)

Back