free website stats program Newby Needs Advice About Early Twin Cam Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Newby Needs Advice About Early Twin Cam Bearings

SamTing

Hello all. I am a new member from Colorado and I need some advice. Somewhere along the way, life got in the way of my riding enjoyment, and I would like to enjoy it again after a divorce and retirement. Some time ago, I acquired a low mileage 1999 Ultra Classic. I have not ridden it much and it currently has under 10,000 miles on it. It has never had the failures and then upgrades to the timing section. The way I understand it, the inner cam bearings were not adequate and were prone to failure, as were the outer support bearings. Did any of these motors survive intact through the years, untouched? I have recently retired and had hoped to have a good dependable road bike to put some miles on. Can I count on this thing to get me around for a few years? What upgrades would be recommended and what should I expect to have to pay for this work? As I have been informed so far; I would be needing inner bearings, cam support plate and bearings, both cams, new push rods and tubes, new cam chain tensioners or mechanically driven cams if the pinion shaft runout is under .003". I am quite sure there is more to this job than stated, which is why I came here to seek some advice. Thank you very much, in advance to anyone with expertise who would take the time to address this with me. I am not completely inexperienced as I wrenched quite a lot on my first bike, a 1958 Sportster, as well as a couple of Shoveleheads which I still have.

Last edited:
Welcome Sam. You seem to have done your homework pretty thoroughly. Cam bearings were not a huge problem for stock motors, but also could fail. The cam chain tensioners were the big problem and 25K miles seemed to be the common fail point. BUT, the material in yours could have degraded (gotten brittle) just sitting. There are better tensioners on the market now, but the better solution is a cam chain assembly swap to replace the silent chain with a roller chain assy. I see no reason to change pushrods/tubes. I would try and find a reputable independent shop to do the work as it is a 21 yr. old engine, and "ancient" by dealer standards.
Just my opinion, and I've forgotten a lot myself over the years.

hi all,
new lad here.
i got a 1999 flstf fatboy with the 1340 evo engine.
i am looking for the bearing sizes for my bike.
any or all bearings/sizes would help me a lot.
i need the common bearing sizes and seal sizes as i am going to try and source them from local engineering traders here in the UK
any help would be much appreciated
thanks

SamTiing,
First thing you should do is purchase the HD service manual for your model/year. Search on Ebay, some decent deals to be had there. I would tell you that any early SM, say '99-'02 but '99 was was the first year of the Twin Cam and later manuals won't have some of the same information due to changes that were made. Do an internet search for HD Service Bulletin M1097 as it pertains specifically to the '99 model year.

The very first '99s came with rear cams that attached and indexed to the sprockets using a Woodruff key. A running change modified this attachment to an indexed spline arrangement. The '99 cams were supported with ball bearings in the cam plate. Due to failures, another running change was made and the rear outer cam bearing was changed to a roller bearing with the inner race pressed onto the cam's outer shaft. This is what M1097 talks about. If you have the keyed cams I do not know if the roller bearing will work. It was designed to work with the splined cams.

If you have a 99 and are using ANY other cam plate than the one that originally came with the bike there is an oil supply hole that must be blocked with a screw identified in the linked Andrews document on the last page.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/files/assets/Cams_conversion_chain-01.pdf

If are replacing the cams and/or possibly a new sprocket pay attention to the 180° ridge made into it. That is to operate the cam position sensor used in 99-01 models. The below link identifies roller chain version that can be used with some later modifications:
https://www.denniskirk.com/andrews/roller-conversion-cam-sprocket-216015.p140050.prd/140050.sku

If you need to get a splined sprocket, a roller chain sprocket (above) or go with gear cams the respective sprocket/gear needs to have this feature. Some folks don't know this and have installed sprockets without this and had issues.

Now, if all this makes you regret getting a '99 model, no worries; that model year has the strongest bottomee and assembly's of all the twin cams.

JMHO but a cam chest upgrade would be a good idea and if you have basic mechanical skills, a decent set o hand tools, torque wrenches and the service manual, the upgrades are truly a DIY project. There are a couple of "special" tools referred to in the SM but there are work arounds for those. However, if you have access to a dependable, knowledgeable independent tech, you shouldn't have to pay for more than 8 hours at the shop rate; most in my area run $75-$100 an hour. A good tech could do this in 4 hours if all the parts are on hand and no surprises.

JMHO but at 10K miles everything in the cam chest should be within service limits so the upgrades that follow are those IMHO necessary to insure the longevity of the motor. Again, JMHO but the OEM cam chest is fairly robust and can remain serviceable for a long time with a few upgrades and you can save yourself a wad of $$ by avoiding gear drive cams, new cam plate and the hydro/roller conversion.

Retain the OEM cam plate
Retain OEM pushrods and tubes
Replace the tensioners with a set off CYCO tensioners
Replace the inner cam bearings with Torrington/Toyo B148s
Replace the outer cam bearings and upgrade the rear outer bearing to a roller.
If you want a performance boost, replace the OEM cams with a set of S&S 509 cams
Replace the OEM oil pressure relief spring with the Baisley LMR-002 for consistent low RPM oil pressure

I hope the bike is carbed and if it is, you will likely need to re-jet if you upgrade the cam set. If the bike is EFI, the system is the Magneti Marelli system which is a whole separate can of worms and difficult to find tuners that are familiar with that system.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Back