free website stats program Newbie looking for advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie looking for advice

Don't give up on the touring bikes just yet. Take a look at the Road King (standard or classic). It has all the benefits of touring while still having the simplicity of non-touring. Good for tall riders and "beefy" looking so you don't look like a bear on a tricycle. Yes, I own one, so I am a bit biased... I was also on a budget, and bought a used one for around 10 grand.

Oh, and as far as a Sportster being a "starter bike", that is a bunch of crap. It has plenty of motor and they look great. If that's the style you want, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to "graduate" to a better Harley.

Great advice on both. Thanks a lot!

At 36 you are about half way through your riding career. Be sure to take the rider safety course then go from there. As the saying goes "Someday you will own a bagger". So starting with a Sporty at this time might just be a waste of finances that could end up sitting or parked do to the lack of excitement.:cry When you can better spend your money on something that will last a long haul....... Remember the Wife wants you to be happy....:s

At 36 you are about half way through your riding career. Be sure to take the rider safety course then go from there. As the saying goes "Someday you will own a bagger". So starting with a Sporty at this time might just be a waste of finances that could end up sitting or parked do to the lack of excitement.:cry When you can better spend your money on something that will last a long haul....... Remember the Wife wants you to be happy....:s

AAAAnnnnnd, you want the wife to be happy. She will not be happy riding on the back of a sportster.:cry

A riders course is a definite good start.

Try to have some patience and don't let your emotions lead you to purchase right away.

Trust me, there are plenty of bikes out there and even the "best" deal you come across will find you again time and again.

HD Are heavy machines and not the most easy to learn on.

But as its been mentioned, check out demo rides.

You have to really consider what kind of riding you expect to do.

A Dyna Switchback has classic lines, some storage and windshield. Decent 2up.

I'd suggest looking at used and let the previous owner take the hit on upgrades. Exhaust, intake, fuelling etc.

Good luck.

First off, take a riding course. Then try several different one's before buying one. My son thought he wanted a Heritage until he tried about 6 different ones, and ended up loving the Soft tail Duce, which wasn't even in his top 10. He's 6'2" and if fit him perfect. Some people are tall with short legs, some are short with long legs, you won't know what is comfortable to you until you try them out.

Take the safe riding course before you buy a bike. Then follow the rest of TangsooDoMan's instructions. Will save you a lot of trouble. JMHO

my 2 cents on this, the riding course is the place to start and take demo rides on all the models that catch your eye and budget.

Since you are 6'+ , you may find that a bike with forward controls will fit you better than one with mid controls, I found that once I tried them I wasn't comfortable on a bike with mids.

If you are going to ride 2 up sometimes I do not recommend a sportster, just not enough room for 2 IMHO.

Good hunting and welcome to the riding family.

I just got my first bike last year.

Take a riding course, you wont be disappointed.
Do the demo rides, and my local dealer let me ride everything they had.
I didn't end up buying from them but they'll get all my parts business.

I went with a '97 Road King, i'm 5'11" about 250 lbs. The wife loves a nice seat!

I kept the model year older to keep my price down, but don't settle even if you have to travel for it. I live in southwestern Ohio and went to Milwaukee for mine.

I too recommend the dyna series, with forward controls. Enjoy
WAP.gif

I am a 5'7" female, my first bike was a softail deuce and I loved the forward controls. I get very uncomfortable with mids, for what that is worth. :)

I am currently on a road king, and I love it. It does have highway pegs on it and they get used within 2 miles of my house. :)

Back