free website stats program New valve break in. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New valve break in.

I only have 8000 miles on bike so I'm not too overly worried about the rings. I am having a blast doing this stuff. Never have done any of it before and am learning a lot. Not bad for this old geezer:D Any hoo, life is short..never stop learning and trying new things. Oh yeah, I really appreciate everyones advice and help. Thanks a lot!

With only 8,000 miles she's hardly broke in, I'd leave the rings alone if it were me. Doing a lot of the wrenching yourself saves lots of $$ and the experience you gain is invaluable. :s

:small3d015: 8000...... Never read to retain that part...

I had 66,000 on my bike; 09 TC King, before I went HOT 103"... Still had many miles left on it as a warmed-up 96" but I wanted the change... Now at 113,800 miles... Bought at the very years end NEW when the 2010 bikes were pushing it out the door... (my gain)
WOW, wonder IF it will make another season.? LOL.....

I do keep it clean, IN and OUT... (NO Dirt JEEP Roads for my ride....LOL LOL EH geezer?)
All noises are properly diagnosed and fixed by me early on... You Know, I seldom fine a problem with my 09 ride and that build.:D

I remember the OLD days when you would get 17,000 miles on the Honda/Metric (yes, I Owned many in the early days)
Trading in OR selling it used early on and buying another New One, as Many wondered IF it would last another season... :bigsmiley12: AND They usually did BUT to another owner at a low ball price when they bought it used.

You could always find a GOOD low mile bike back then and you still can today.

Low mile bikes parked in a garage as the FAD wears off...

Not me, That INJECTION my father gave me at 5 years old, called HARLEY DAVIDSON, is Still Active and Flowing in my Veins... Took a few years and many metrics but Here I am now from first owned HD (1995).... I'm Harley All the WAY.....:bigsmiley36:

Bla Bla Bla.....

signed....BUBBIE

I only have 8000 miles on bike so I'm not too overly worried about the rings. I am having a blast doing this stuff. Never have done any of it before and am learning a lot. Not bad for this old geezer:D Any hoo, life is short..never stop learning and trying new things. Oh yeah, I really appreciate everyones advice and help. Thanks a lot!

Ahh. That is pretty low miles. If you were not having any oil smoke or loss of compression prior to pulling the heads, I might not fix it if it ain't broke either.

Cheers,

TQ

8K miles and no compression or ring seal issue; leave the rings alone. No reflection on your mechanical skills but new rings means what rings? setting end gap? making sure the "dot" or bevel is up or down? making sure the top two rings go in the proper groove? making sure the cylinders are clean of any machine dust? break in? etc. Don't laugh; many with much more experience have made those kinds of mistakes, so if it ain't broke....................:D

Replace that head gasket with a .030" Cometic MLS. Read and follow instructions regarding oil return dowel O-rings. If you have no secured those cylinders to the case, do it before you disturb the cylinder to base seal at the o-ring.:s

Attachments

• pvccylinderspacer.jpg
    pvccylinderspacer.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 10
8K miles and no compression or ring seal issue; leave the rings alone. No reflection on your mechanical skills but new rings means what rings? setting end gap? making sure the "dot" or bevel is up or down? making sure the top two rings go in the proper groove? making sure the cylinders are clean of any machine dust? break in? etc. Don't laugh; many with much more experience have made those kinds of mistakes, so if it ain't broke....................:D

Replace that head gasket with a .030" Cometic MLS. Read and follow instructions regarding oil return dowel O-rings. If you have no secured those cylinders to the case, do it before you disturb the cylinder to base seal at the o-ring.:s

I did very slightly rock one cyl. when I was pulling off the head. Do I need to replace the o ring at the bottom? If so then do I have to pull cyl. completely off the piston? geez:cry

I did very slightly rock one cyl. when I was pulling off the head. Do I need to replace the o ring at the bottom? If so then do I have to pull cyl. completely off the piston? geez:cry

You can gently raise the cylinders up a bit to check the O ring, when you are done do as dolt showed in his last post:s

First thing to do is to secure the undisturbed cylinder. Since I don't know what "slightly rock" means, I can't say whether or not the o-ring was disturbed which would mean it is out of the groove. However if the cylinder is sitting flat against the case 360* around the base, the ring should be in the groove in which probably no harm done. Secure the cylinder, keep fingers crossed and watch for any seepage at the cylinder base once the motor is up and running again.

If you decide to replace the o-ring, you don't want to pull the cylinder off the piston. Raise the cylinder up enough to expose the piston pin locks, remove a lock on one side, push the pin out the other side and remove the cylinder with the piston in the cylinder; reverse the procedure to put the cylinder back.

HD13FXST010.gif

Now would be time to change the oil drain o rings IMO and I would double check the cylinder O ring for peace of mind JMO
Check out #7 in the picture:s

Ok so I did lift cyl. just enough to look at the o rings and they did look fine. I did notice each cyl. had a little green o ring on it too. I think for my piece of mind I would like to try to replace o rings the way dolt said so does anyone know a good piston pin puller? Not too many dollars. and do I need the clip install tool too? I have seen videos where they are put in with just a small screwdriver. Thanks.

Back