free website stats program New valve break in. | Harley Davidson Forums

New valve break in.

coopernicus

Contributor
Ok so I know I said I was satisfied with just the cam upgrade but it bit me and I tore down the bike and sent the heads off for porting and new valves. Can someone tell me a good way to properly seat new valves? :D

If the person doing the valve work doesn't have any special instructions, I would just ride it as normal.

NOTHING OVER 9,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles...:lero

That would be My Way...:D

ask if they replaced the Guides with Bronze or kept stock...? Just for information. Bronze will Out-Last stock guides.

signed....BUBBIE

If the valve job was done correctly, checking spring height and pressures, ride it like Bubbie said:s

I suspect with the work you identified, that you may have changed the rings too. Those do need a bit of a process to make sure they are seated. Check this out:

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

NOTHING OVER 9,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles...:lero

That would be My Way...:D

ask if they replaced the Guides with Bronze or kept stock...? Just for information. Bronze will Out-Last stock guides.

signed....BUBBIE

ha ha ha:lero

I suspect with the work you identified, that you may have changed the rings too. Those do need a bit of a process to make sure they are seated. Check this out:

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

No rings but it is tempting to go big bore since its just sitting there naked on top!

If the valve job was done correctly, checking spring height and pressures, ride it like Bubbie said:s

Ok thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rings but it is tempting to go big bore since its just sitting there naked on top!

With the heads off, I would be tempted to replace the rings so you know what condition they are in too. You are already having to replace the head gasket, so taking the jugs in to have them crosshatch honed at an indy is a piece of cake.

Clean up the pistons, install the new rings then reinstall the pistons on the connecting rods. Put the jugs back on.

BIG NOTE OF CAUTION: put some rags around the connecting rods filling the holes into the case as soon as you pull each jug off. If you drop anything into the case, the job has just become way larger!!

Cheers,

TQ

Good Idea from TQ...:s

ALSO.....

If you stuff shop towels around the rods to cover openings... NOT JOKING: Take the towels OUT before you put it back together...

One member Long ago, forgot a small piece of towel he used inside the hole and YES problems...:cry

:bigsmiley36: that work Good Bye...

signed....BUBBIE

I only have 8000 miles on bike so I'm not too overly worried about the rings. I am having a blast doing this stuff. Never have done any of it before and am learning a lot. Not bad for this old geezer:D Any hoo, life is short..never stop learning and trying new things. Oh yeah, I really appreciate everyones advice and help. Thanks a lot!

Back