free website stats program New to this | Harley Davidson Forums

New to this

Gunjers

Hello

I am New to this forum stuff. I have a 2015 HD Ultra Classic with the 103. I have purchased this used recently with 2,300 miles on it. I just reached 3200 miles and it sounds like the lifters are bad. This is the first Harley I have purchased and have always wanted one. Now I'm slightly freaking out about this. When I start it, it sounds fine and then about 15 seconds into running it ticks like crazy for about a minute and then quiets down. I'm assuming that's lifter noise, and kinda (EDIT) with that few of miles. Any thoughts suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is not where you post questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Wisconsin.Lifter noise is common with Twin Cams.Sometimes ,just at certain RPM's.My M8 has lifter noise at 2000 RPM.Gone at 2100 RPM.

Welcome from NorCal! Seems odd that with that low mileage it's lifter failure. Twin Cams are notoriously noisey but it's usually from the rockers on the top of the motor. My bikes pipes are so loud I don't think I could hear my lifters! But you may want to get a professional opinion. You can also take a length of dowel or a wooden handled long screwdriver and place one end against the lifter block and the other against your ear to see if you can isolate the noise. How's the oil? You may want to put some fresh oil in to to if it changes anything.

Welcome aboard!
If you didnt change the oil and do not know what was used, change it and re-evaluate....

Back