free website stats program new starter do I need bigger battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

new starter do I need bigger battery

so there is a separate relay on the circuit that could be weak??

There is a starter relay, I will go down to the shop and check my manual for the location on my 94FLSTC. I think it is under the seat. Is the problem you described with your dads battery the same you had with your old starter?

There is a starter relay, I will go down to the shop and check my manual for the location on my 94FLSTC. I think it is under the seat. Is the problem you described with your dads battery the same you had with your old starter?

It is under the seat just to the right of the ignition mod.

the relay could definitely be the problem from what I see written in the manual. Is there a quick way to access the relay without removing the oil bag or pulling off the back wheel to remove the plastic fender extension that the relay is pop rivetted to?

Check the voltage at the starter while it's trying to engage. If you're not getting the proper voltage That tells me you may have a bad cable... Check both cables + and -...

the relay could definitely be the problem from what I see written in the manual. Is there a quick way to access the relay without removing the oil bag or pulling off the back wheel to remove the plastic fender extension that the relay is pop rivetted to?

I think your relay is in the same location as my 94. A frayed wire could be causing your problem. Check all the connections. When you turn on the ignition do you get all the lights and do your turn signals function?

If you found the relay, take your VOM and check to be sure the coil of the relay is not open.
Once you are sure the coil of the relay is good, check the contacts that pass the voltage thru the relay and be sure you are getting full voltage thru those contacts.

well thanks for all your help guys. It turned out to be the relay for the starter. I robbed one out of my old van and it helped out till I get a new one ordered. Thanks again for all the help. Glad I joined the forum.

Back