free website stats program New SE Heavy Breather installed today | Harley Davidson Forums

New SE Heavy Breather installed today

EVGHOG

I have a 2009 Harley Road King stock except for the HD Stage 1 air cleaner, Vance & Hines Ovals slip-ons and a FuelPak. This work was all done by the dealer at the time of purchase. The bike now has approx 100 miles on the clock. Today I replaced the Stage 1 air cleaner with the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. It was my understanding that no changes in the settings of the FuelPak were necessary (Tech support from V&H). However, the bike runs bad. There is definite exhaust note change (not as loud) and you can hear the suction of air through the breather (I’m guessing that is normal) The most disturbing part is the presence of smoke from the exhaust and at idle the bike runs rough and is close to stalling. Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks - Ed

I have a 2009 Harley Road King stock except for the HD Stage 1 air cleaner, Vance & Hines Ovals slip-ons and a FuelPak. This work was all done by the dealer at the time of purchase. The bike now has approx 100 miles on the clock. Today I replaced the Stage 1 air cleaner with the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. It was my understanding that no changes in the settings of the FuelPak were necessary (Tech support from V&H). However, the bike runs bad. There is definite exhaust note change (not as loud) and you can hear the suction of air through the breather (I’m guessing that is normal) The most disturbing part is the presence of smoke from the exhaust and at idle the bike runs rough and is close to stalling. Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks - Ed

IMO - you need to "tweak" your fuel pak to adjust the differences in the A/C's.

The smoke at an idle,I'm assuming it is black smoke is an indication that it is running too rich,as well as the rough idle it is choking itself with fuel

sounds like it needs some tweaking .. I would bet the Heavy breather flows more air than the std Stage 1

sounds like it needs some tweaking .. I would bet the Heavy breather flows more air than the std Stage 1

That doesn't make sense Bud,if it had more air it would be starving for fuel,not belching smoke and idling rough

Is the heavy breather a new filter element and is it a possibility that it is over oiled if it is an oiled element?

Guys thanks for the replys - This was a brand new Heavy Breather kit from HD. The filter element is new and it did have oil on it, but not soaked in it. Should I rinse this? A little clarification on the smoke issue. It seems to only be there when I start the bike and is not black smoke. Could it be bad gas.....I got the bike with a full tank from the dealer and filled it up for the first time yesterday with high test 93 octane.

Ed

The bike may have a bit of smoke if it is colder out when you first start it. They do run rich for a short time on start up.
Installing a Heavy Breather should be a stright forward thing with out any problems.

One thing worth mentioning here - Upon further investigation the bike seems to run much hotter. The idle seems fine when it’s cold and then much rougher when it’s hot. (this happens rather quickly at idle, which didn’t happen before). Also, when it gets hot it blows white smoke.
Ed

Back