free website stats program new rim has wobble side to side | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

new rim has wobble side to side

been thru rim runout so much I tune my own every time I change rubber, with wire wheels it is suprising how off they get.

UR right if anyone has an POC at harleys home office or customer service I am all ears
I paid goood money for this rim and I should not have to settle for second best and thanks guys for your help.

The problem is that on laced wheels there is so much allowable run out. .030" in both the vertical and horizontal planes is a bunch in my opinion. But that number is acceptable and within spec.. Unless your really lucky, chances are any laced wheel will have some run out.

If it's vertical run out that you now have, you may want to try setting the run out in the tire opposite the run out in the rim. It takes a little work to do but it will nullify most of the total run-out. Forget the dots on the tire facing the valve stem.

The problem is that on laced wheels there is so much allowable run out. .030" in both the vertical and horizontal planes is a bunch in my opinion. But that number is acceptable and within spec.. Unless your really lucky, chances are any laced wheel will have some run out.

If it's vertical run out that you now have, you may want to try setting the run out in the tire opposite the run out in the rim. It takes a little work to do but it will nullify most of the total run-out. Forget the dots on the tire facing the valve stem.

GOOD CALL HOOP!!
On one of my NEW TIRES, watching from the allowed distance in a HONDA shop ,,, putting on my NEW dunlop that said JAPAN and NOT HARLEY.......

and about 40$ LESS for tire(same numbers as the HD) and 35$ LESS for the dis-mount-mount n balance offered by COCHISE MOTOR SPORTS in SIERRA VISTA AZ.

I noticed sever attempts up and down wit the air ,,,, LOOSENING tire and push n pull then finally airing it again and onto the balance machine where it needed NO WEIGHTS.
THE RIDE on my bike was SMOOTH as SILK and the trick was told me later by the mechanic...: LINE UP TIRE SO IT IS EVEN AND STRAIGHT ON RIM!

saying it takes MORE time but YOU get a better job...

Also on one that was way out of balance ,,,, HE, JUST loosen mounted tire, giving it a ? 180* turn and the LARGE balance weight was not needed.

that pleased me!

signed....BUBBIE

Hey guys I got the rim back it is straight the only thing the tech told me at the dealer was the seam on the rim was off a little bit and the rim has a low spot . He said that the wheel has a very small up and down motion when u turn it I installed the rim and turned it and u can see in one spot it will move down just so slightly will that be a problem? .
Or should I ask them to get me another wheel

is the bump area less than a spark plug GAP? if so it should be okay.... I think once a wire wheel hits a few bumps it will either get better or worse..

MY OPINION'''' when I was YOUNGER, I HAD TO HAVE the wire wheels, it was just NECESSARY..... LOOKS!!!!!!!

NOW several years WISER, i like the mag wheels the bike comes with and that is good enough for me....

old school
signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
is the bump area less than a spark plug GAP? if so it should be okay.... I think once a wire wheel hits a few bumps it will either get better or worse..

MY OPINION'''' when I was YOUNGER, I HAD TO HAVE the wire wheels, it was just NECESSARY..... LOOKS!!!!!!!

NOW several years WISER, i like the mag wheels the bike comes with and that is good enough for me....

old school
signed....BUBBIE

A bump could cause radial runout and effect the dynamic balance, I would ask for a new wheel

UR right if anyone has an POC at harleys home office or customer service I am all ears
I paid goood money for this rim and I should not have to settle for second best and thanks guys for your help.
I would give HD customer service a call, if they don't know about a problem they can't fix it, input always helps, Harley does care about quality and customer satisfaction. And this whole thing you've been going through is a joke, if a new wheel was not perfect I would never try to pawn it off on a customer, you only have two wheels on your bike and if one goes it would not be pretty.
1-414-343-4056

Icalled harley today and they said to bring the bike to the dealer and let them take pics of the rim problem and to send it to them so the techs can figure out what is going on they said there is a warranty on the rim and they will stand by it

Back