free website stats program new rim has wobble side to side | Harley Davidson Forums

new rim has wobble side to side

If I just do not have any luck these days just a few weeks ago I was on the forum talking about my 21 inch chrome rim I purchased from my local harley dealership . Which turned out to be defective anyways this is what I have going on with this rim . I installed it on the bike and when I turned the tire I noticed that it had a very slight wobble. Was I paranoid maybe I rode the bike last saturday because it was the only day it did'nt rain While we were riding my friend stopped me an asked me what happened to my rim I asked why he said that it"s moving sids to side well turns out that he was right . when I got home putting only 60 miles on the bike I put her up on the stand spun the tire and man does the tire wobble and I had no shimmy or anything any Ideas on this or do I have another bad rim .

Is this an cast alloy style rim or a steel spoked rim? If it's an cast alloy, it's probably the end of that rim, if it's a spoked rim it may be possible to adjusted the "wobble" out, assuming the rim itself isn't bent.

this is the smooth surface laced wheel the rim looks like it is twisted slightly I did not hit any pot holes just your usual bumps The reason I bought a new rim was because I hit A large hole and rolled the lip of the rim up it is like the more I rode it the worst it got this one has me stumped

Hang in there, don't get discouraged. I believe I would take the wheel back off & let the dealer or your shop that's properly equipted check it & re-true it.
"Give out, but don't Give up"... :s

Sporty like Hobbit said some times it's the tire, to be that noticable it's not good, if it's the same tire that was on the old rim, the tire itself could have been damaged when the rim was bent, I always replace tires if there is rim damage on a accident bike. The other thing to check for "right away" is that the bead is seated all the way around on both sides of the tire, if it was spin balanced it would have been caught at mounting, if it's a new tire it should not have balanced out with 3 oz or less and should of been caught at mounting also. Spoke rims have a run out of 0.030 in. allowed, I have had new rims that look bad to me on the spin balancer but checked out by Harley's spec. Even though I'm old school and love the look of lace wheels, I perfer mags becuse they stay truer, easier to clean, are stronger and if you put out 100 plus hp to the rear wheel you must run a mag or run the risk of pulling spokes. Lace wheels are good and I'm sure they will always be around so don't let my mag spiel turn you off, they are great for street machines.

Good evening guys Just got home from work any ways the tire and tube was brand new . I thought that it my be the tire but it was definatley the rim
I took off the rim and brought it down to harley and they called in a local guy who specializes in retrueing rims he told me that the rim is out of specs
and he said that it can be fixed . it is strange that a new rim could just go out like that . The roads are not that good and I avoid the deep holes just a lot of bumps . believe me with the old rim I have hit some big holes and thought I ha dtrashed the rim and when I checked it out the rim was fine
so I think the rim is strong snough to take on these roads here in PR

well this is the second new rim from harley the first one the hole for the bearing was not machined down to the proper depth. and the bearing pertruded out 0.65mm so it had to be replaced from harley and now this one
with a wobble man it's just has not been my luck these days but things will get better they all ways do So life goes on I will have the rim back by next tuesday . when all said and done next saturday some of the group are going down to the beach and we will camp out for the night the water is blue white sand and 89 degree weather and few cold ones .

Hey guys I got the rim back it is straight the only thing the tech told me at the dealer was the seam on the rim was off a little bit and the rim has a low spot . He said that the wheel has a very small up and down motion when u turn it I installed the rim and turned it and u can see in one spot it will move down just so slightly will that be a problem? .
Or should I ask them to get me another wheel

What is up with getting a straight wheel/rim especially if the 2nd one was obviously not right. I am beginning to be like Chopper...regarding cast wheel preference. I originally like my 2004R mainly because it HAD dual discs, cast wheels, carbureted, rubber mounted engine, smoother modern lines so my choice and JMO.

Im no expert, but it seems to me if you buy new it should be absolutely perfect and shouldnt have to accept second best, think I would tell them to get me another one Im sure the prices they charge are for a perfectly manufactured wheel.:newsmile093:

Back