free website stats program New rider with a question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider with a question

If you buy the mids hardware, you have the advantage of leaving the stock forward setup alone, using the mid position only for comfort and highway riding (in my case the Mini-Wing floorboards are a nice compromise).

Believe me, once you get used to having forward controls...you will not want to change, also in the future you may want to convert them to floorboards w/ heel & toe shifting or just toe shifting only or get pegs with stirrups if you want additional support for your heels when forward. Just ride and enjoy!

Is there a company that makes floorboards / heel-toe for a sportster?

i may be too late with this one, it seems you have made your mind up to change back to mids, though i would just like to say that i too have just bought my first sportster and chose the custom mainly because of the forward controls. i have since had a street bob for a couple of weeks and one of the very few faults that i found with it was the mid controls, i think you would save yourself time, effort and money if you stick with what you have.

i may be too late with this one, it seems you have made your mind up to change back to mids, though i would just like to say that i too have just bought my first sportster and chose the custom mainly because of the forward controls. i have since had a street bob for a couple of weeks and one of the very few faults that i found with it was the mid controls, i think you would save yourself time, effort and money if you stick with what you have.

hey el duderino --- I would like to see a pic. of that 58' 883 sporty custom you ride if you can.

Is there a company that makes floorboards / heel-toe for a sportster?

There was a thread awhile back where a poster found floorboards compatible with the standard HD footpeg mounts and pins...:25:

Don't recall finding heel & toe shifter, but I am sure they are made in the aftermarket...I'd try Google search...:57:

Here is the Kuryakin Mini-Wing Floorboards I used for the Mid position:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/14/IMID/600

There was a thread awhile back where a poster found floorboards compatible with the standard HD footpeg mounts and pins...:25:

Don't recall finding heel & toe shifter, but I am sure they are made in the aftermarket...I'd try Google search...:57:

Here is the Kuryakin Mini-Wing Floorboards I used for the Mid position:

Those are pretty neat. Let me see what I can find out there.

What about these? Will these work on a sportster too?

Link

Honestly don't know if the passenger floorboards would fit, notice there are two types of brackets, one that is HD compatible looks like it loops down a little lower (may affect ground clearance), may want to ask Kuryakin tech/rep.

I chose the Mini-Wings because it interferes less with the passenger in back and does not get in the way when I change foot positions or performing "paddle walk" manuevers in my driveway or in parking lots without drama, black & blue shins or ankles and the like...JMHO.

I am also a new hd 883 rider. I love the forward controls and probably would't
have bought the bike without them. Good luck with yours.
Animal

I am also a new hd 883 rider. I love the forward controls and probably would't
have bought the bike without them. Good luck with yours.
Animal

I'll have to plan for next winter putting on forward controls on my own, but dang, it ain't that cheap. feeling a little cramped, and while can't do it when stopping or changing gears that easy, but when I am at a cruising point, i use the po'man's forward controls. I stretch back and sit on the passenger part of the seat, thereby stretching my legs out, simulating it. LOL.

Back