free website stats program New rider with a question | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider with a question

Hi everyone,

I recently bought my first bike ever, a 96 sportster. It came with an aftermakret forward control kit but I am thinking I would like to learn to ride using the stock mid controls. Does anyone out there know where I can buy a set, or which parts I will need to get everything back to original? I've searched several forums but I can't find anything that is a "definitive list" so to speak. I haven't been able to find what I think I need anywhere like on ebay or anything. Any insights / thoughts?

I don't know about going back to the original set-up, but I'm sure you can. But, if you do take those forward controls off and want to sell them let me know. I have a '96 sportster I'd like to put them on.

Ken

Hi everyone,

I recently bought my first bike ever, a 96 sportster. It came with an aftermakret forward control kit but I am thinking I would like to learn to ride using the stock mid controls. Does anyone out there know where I can buy a set, or which parts I will need to get everything back to original? I've searched several forums but I can't find anything that is a "definitive list" so to speak. I haven't been able to find what I think I need anywhere like on ebay or anything. Any insights / thoughts?

Being you have the forward controls and looking to go back to stock (mids), I would put place ads on the different forums stating what you want to do. There are many looking to go the opposite route and it may end up working out for you. Someone would no doubt swap parts with you.

Being you have the forward controls and looking to go back to stock (mids), I would put place ads on the different forums stating what you want to do. There are many looking to go the opposite route and it may end up working out for you. Someone would no doubt swap parts with you.

Did you mean the other forums here, or other HD-related forums on the web? I suppose both would work, really. Ideally I would like to hang on to the forwards for possible use later. Maybe I can find someone that has their old mids hanging around that would sell them.

Did you mean the other forums here, or other HD-related forums on the web? I suppose both would work, really. Ideally I would like to hang on to the forwards for possible use later. Maybe I can find someone that has their old mids hanging around that would sell them.

Try them all on the web what's there to loose.:s

Try the sportster forums first.

Hi everyone,

AgentOrange, frame already has the mounting bosses, HD has the parts book so you can buy the stock steel brackets for about $30-$35 each, the standard HD mounting pins, clips and washers kit (in chrome) $12 for the pair :D and the pegs $60 to $100 (I chose Kuryakin Mini-Wing Floorboards for comfort) to $150 for HD & Kuryakin top of the line fancies w/chrome. I like the mids for better control in the rough stuff and when riding two-up going over bumps. Bet you couldn't tell that I know from experience and I like 'em. :ap Also have crash bar w/ adjustable pegs for "w-a-y f-o-w-a-r-d-s" if you are tall and want even more room to stretch out. :bigsmiley24:

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm leaning towards buying a set so that I can hang on to the forwards just in case I want to go back later. I've posted a couple of WTBuys already so we'll see where that leads. I'll keep an eye on ebay also. I appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm leaning towards buying a set so that I can hang on to the forwards just in case I want to go back later. I've posted a couple of WTBuys already so we'll see where that leads. I'll keep an eye on ebay also. I appreciate everyone's help!

If you buy the mids hardware, you have the advantage of leaving the stock forward setup alone, using the mid position only for comfort and highway riding (in my case the Mini-Wing floorboards are a nice compromise).

Believe me, once you get used to having forward controls...you will not want to change, also in the future you may want to convert them to floorboards w/ heel & toe shifting or just toe shifting only or get pegs with stirrups if you want additional support for your heels when forward. Just ride and enjoy!

Back