free website stats program NEW REAR SHOCKS? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW REAR SHOCKS?

Here is the other one

S36E.JPG

JMHO but I would not waste money on another set of OEM air shocks but that's just me. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies in spades when it comes to shocks. Be prepared to spend $800 to $1100 for a set of really good, adjustable and rebuildable shocks. IMHO, Ohlins are the best but the Legend Revo A and the Pro Action are also good choices.

If cost is driving your decision and you buy your buddy's OEM air shocks, before you install them, drain the factory oil out and refill with 7W. The process is a bit tedious but worth the trouble. Do some internet research and I am sure you can find some information and maybe a Youtube video on how to do it.

Just as a side note...Harley OEM shocks are rebuildable. The same shocks have been used on Goldwings for years. Rebuild kits are available at (gasp) Honda dealerships....same guts and there's videos on YouTube of how to rebuild them...easy breezy.

Just as a side note...Harley OEM shocks are rebuildable. The same shocks have been used on Goldwings for years. Rebuild kits are available at (gasp) Honda dealerships....same guts and there's videos on YouTube of how to rebuild them...easy breezy.

The OEM Harley air shock is a very basic shock and, as you point out, easy to rebuild; not much going on inside the shock. So you can rebuild a shock that doesn't work well and have a rebuilt shock that doesn't work well.:eek: Probalby works for the average Harley rider but the OEM air shocks just don't work for an aggressive rider that uses all the back tire.;)

My GL1800 had suspension issues that I truly hated. I ended up adding the Traxxion System to the bike. Man what a difference. After the up grade, my front tire wear was smooth with out cupping through the life of the tire.
I think I know what I'll be doing to my Ultra now. It could use an suspension upgrade. After thinking about it for a while, I don't want to buy something that will be mediocre in performance. I have a plan, all I need is $$$:eek:

Back