free website stats program NEW REAR SHOCKS? | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW REAR SHOCKS?

Dean2009

98 ROAD KING NEED recommendations for new shocks where to buy? And how much as money is tight right now?Does not have to be air shocks .200 # rider

If money is tight, drain the oil from the OEM shocks and replace with a good 10W like Belray or Spectro. Save $$ until you have about $800-$1000 and get a good pair of rebuildable rear shocks. Midrange Ohlins will run about $1000 and then you step down to Pro Action and Legend in the $700-$800 range and then down to Progresive in the $600 range. Don't quote me on prices, just throwing out round numbers so you get the idea of what your options are.

Dean,

If when you do as Dolt suggested above and drain the fluid out of your old shocks, there may be a bunch of particulate material in the fluid. This is likely bits of elastomer from the internals of the shock coming apart. Replacing the fluid if the internals of the shocks are worn out will not get your ride back.

If money is tight, replacing the OEMs with new OEM will be about $300 or so. Easy job to do yourself. Just remember to replace one side and then the other.

Here is some discussion on the topic:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/rear-shock-replacement.59050/

Cheers,

TQ

To TQ's point, I have seen low mileage "upgraded" later touring OEM shocks on Ebay go for less than $300; just have to look and be patient. Last set I saw went for $265.

If your interested in stock air shocks, I have a set off my 2016 RGU with only 200 miles on them.
I went with the lowering kit for my short legs. pm me if interested.

Attachments

• 2016 RGU air shocks.jpg
    2016 RGU air shocks.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
If your interested in stock air shocks, I have a set off my 2016 RGU with only 200 miles on them.
I went with the lowering kit for my short legs. pm me if interested.
If money is tight, drain the oil from the OEM shocks and replace with a good 10W like Belray or Spectro. Save $$ until you have about $800-$1000 and get a good pair of rebuildable rear shocks. Midrange Ohlins will run about $1000 and then you step down to Pro Action and Legend in the $700-$800 range and then down to Progresive in the $600 range. Don't quote me on prices, just throwing out round numbers so you get the idea of what your options are.
rebuildable rear shocks?? Like what as an example?

rebuildable rear shocks?? Like what as an example?

Ohlins, Pro Action, Works are all rebuildable, not sure about Legends but I think they are rebuildable as well. For instance, if you gte an Ohlins shock, install it and find the valving wrong, you can send them back, talk to the tech and they will revalve. If you wear out a set of Ohlins, you can send them back to the service center for disassembly, inspection, replacementt of worn parts, new oil and gas recharge for about $200.

So these shocks replace the Air Shock? They look adjustable? My OEM Rear Air Shocks have 50 K on them and are starting to feel mushy. I'd like to get something that has a firm ride. One of our members has offered his OEM shocks for a good price. I just don't know the direction I want to go yet.
upload_2016-5-19_4-49-29.png

upload_2016-5-19_4-54-52.png

Back