free website stats program New pics of the Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New pics of the Road King

That does look like a good fit and a great profile but I have always wondered what you loose in manuverability with "APES". It seems to me that turning hard and leaning into the turn would be much less effective and a lot more dangerous!!..Could you comment on your experience with this?

That does look like a good fit and a great profile but I have always wondered what you loose in maneuverability with "APES". It seems to me that turning hard and leaning into the turn would be much less effective and a lot more dangerous!!..Could you comment on your experience with this?

Bluesugar, I have 16" apes on my road king, and love them. I don't notice any trouble leaning in the curves or turning in a corner. I have made some adjustments in parking lot cornering, when I am 2 up, I take it slower and watch my balance more, but it is well worth it for the looks and I think they are more comfortable. I know that you think how can that be more comfortable, I use to think the same thing, my cousin talked me into putting them on, he said I would not regret it, and he was right, I wouldn't go back. Going down the 2 lanes leaning into the curves, no problem, I can still keep up with my buddies softails and road kings with standard bars. My wife was skeptical, but she says I don't lean into her as much with the apes, especially when I use my hwy pegs, I keeps me upright more with no problems with my back or arms getting tired. For me they are great.:D

Thank you for the response Dakota-Mark!!..No one remarks on their handling after changing the bars too much,..I have a freind who got rid of his "APES" because he couldn't pull out of his "Condor" bike chock without always bending his bars when he tried to pull back to releash the front wheel cradle,...wrong leverage in the wrong places!!,...makes sense because I did change out my bars to a bit higher rise(1 1/2") and noticed the same thing, but it is tolerable,..But I never wanted to ride his bike when he had the "APES" because it just didn't seem condusive to counter-steering in the curves,...let alone to slow going,...any other real world instances out there?

Bluesugar-The apes take a little to get used too. Handling overall doesn't change that much, Leaning into sharp corners is the only thing that I feel different. I recommend them to anyone interested.
Dublin Dave- Sealcoating the driveway every other year does wonders.

Back