free website stats program New neck bearings and races | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New neck bearings and races

I have hear on here that the wheel bearings are kind of the same way... They're fine,,, then they're not. On my service before our big trip this summer I am greasing the stem bearings and getting front and back wheel bearings just as insurance.

I hit a large pot hole that morning I never seen comin guess that could have had somthing to do with it as well cause it had never happened till monday on the way home.

Wow I'm collecting all this information and making note of it (including the possible upgrade kits).

Seems like you could just pull out the rubber grommet on the neck (where the wiring goes thru) and stick your finger in an feel around for any openings. Or maybe also pull out the large console connector there and just look around with a flashlite.

There was a thread awhile back about the Dyna frames being open at the neck. One member was in the process of taking it all apart, sealing it off, installing a zerk fitting etc etc, but he never got back with the results and issues involved in doing it.

Doesn't sound like an impossible task and can't see why it would not be the way to go. When the time comes for me, I plan on doing it.

Turns out after riding it for a few day and finding that perfect speed of 55mph the neck bearings even tho they where in need of replacement they were not the issue. End up being my front dunlop tire was cupping..
Dang it still had a good 3000 or more miles of tread on it. So two new metzeler tires, wheel bearings all the way around ,and about $350 later the death wobble is gone

Back