free website stats program New member FLHR and FXR | Harley Davidson Forums

New member FLHR and FXR

RocDoc7

Hi ! I'm definitely not new to motorcycles, have been riding since 1971 on various German and Asian brands, and have owned (& loved) my Twin Cam 2002 Road King (FLHR) since 2008.
view

I finally found the bike that I've always wanted, a 1989 FXRP. It's still requiring a good deal of work. Some previous owner removed all the "Police" looking stuff and changed the front end to Wide Glide. Looks great to me. Somebody also putzed up the wiring for lights and turn signals. While I'm rewiring all this, I'm changing all light fixtures to LED. I'm not a fan of the turn signal self-canceling function, and on the Road King I always find my thumb slipping off the stock turn signal buttons. So, on the FXR, I shoe-horned a dual-sided toggle switch into the left hand switch housing. It switches via 2 relays (one for left, one for right turn). I connected this so that my new turn signal switch uses not a Live (+) wire but a ground wire. So the relays are switched by ground connection, not by (+). That way, if anything in that tight handlebar switch housing ever rubs through or shorts out otherwise somehow, the worst that'll happen is that the turn signals come on.
The LED bullet lights are super bright. For the brake and tail lights, I purchased an aftermarket LED unit, and am currently wiring them with a strobe module. I have that on my FLHR and my Japanese bikes too, it makes the brake lights flash 6 times, then light up steady. After being rear-ended in 2006 by a soccer mom yapping into her cellphone, I've been very cautious about what's going on behind me, and I like to give the four-wheelers behind me plenty of warning. On the FLHR, I actually have three very bright brake lights flashing.
The challenge on the FXR right now is tucking all the wiring underneath the fender, and securing the little strobe unit without drilling any holes in the nicely painted fender.
For the headlight, I'm going to use an aftermarket 5-inch LED insert. I have its 7-inch cousin on the Road King, and it works great and is very bright.
After that, I plan to install chromed dual air horns. Got those on the Road King too. Metal trumpets, not plastic, and a powerful little air compressor. Switching, again, will be with relays for maximum power.
I hope these pictures will work. Don't know if this forum can connect to Google Drive with full sharing enabled. We'll see. I don't have a website of my own.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all ! This is my first Evo engine, so I may need to rely on the expertise of the riders in this forum from time to time.

Ride safe !
RocDoc
Baldwin, Georgia
1989 FXR
2002 FLHR

a9ef12d368cdbdaaf3b8282297a339e8.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures coming as I progress with the work.
Definitely want to show some Before & After pics of the FXR engine. It's in dire need of brightening. The aluminum surfaces have some corrosion on them, and somebody simply sprayed black paint over it. Polishing aluminum is one of my specialties. The primary drive cover already looks 100% better.

Ah, Pinterest seems to connect OK. Here's the rewiring I've got in progress on the FXR.
650bbd10cbe3162f65d7d6a0fdb637e8.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here! Quite the project you have going on.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here! Quite the project you have going on.
Thanks for the kind welcome, Joyflyin !
Judging from your avitar, we share an affinity for the same model Road King. :)
For the time being, I'm OK with what I'm doing. The only rewiring challenge is soldering in that tight space beneath the FXR fender.
Hope you get warmer weather soon !
Here in North Georgia, the forecast for tomorrow is sunny with a high of 69. I'll definitely be out there on one of my bikes.

Best,
RocDoc

Back