free website stats program New HD Ultra rider...need LOUD pipes! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New HD Ultra rider...need LOUD pipes!

Road Block - I love the enthusiasm! But honestly, ride it as is for a few thousand miles. Get the 1,000 mile service in. Then just ride, and chat with guys you meet along the way. 4 or 5,000 miles later you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Not what you read in a magazine or what a dealer told you is best. Put that money in your gas tank and get your skills up first. Dont be like everyone else in your spot. Be the wise one!

I also have to agree. If I understood correctly and this is your first bike get used to it first. As you do you will find what direction you want to go to put your "personal touch" to your new ride. Do your research before you upgrade. Just because one person likes something doesn't mean you will. As for the pipes...I like the sound of Rineharts. Since I ride most every day and leave for work about 4:30 AM, I went with V&H big ovals. Quiet enough to get me out of the neighborhood without stirring up the neighbors, but loud enough to be heard when it is needed.

Road Block - Look at it this way. The old tongue in cheek joke among old school Hog riders is the guy in the mid-life crisis who has never owned a bike, buys a brand new Ultra, puts drag pipes and ape hangers on it, bolts on $300 worth of Live to Ride chrome, gets a tattoo of a skull with the words "Sturgis Rules" under it, joins a riding club, has a black bandana in his back pocket, and sells his bike a year later because he never rides it and his wife wants a wave runner.

Don't be that guy. Ride your ride as is. Hang out here at HDT and ask questions. Read the tech stuff. Buy a Service Manual for your bike and read it cover to cover. Go through a couple sets of tires... Before you know it you'll be bolting on your own cool Loud Pipes! Maybe even buying an old shovel and building a REAL "potato" bike!

Welcome to the coolest groop of people on the planet! Don't lose the enthusiasm, but relax and enjoy the WHOLE experience

I have a like new set of rush w/2" baffles for sale. Great sounding pipes but I got a set of monster ovels for a gift so had to put those on. Had many folks say that the rush pipes were a awesome sound. Give me a shout if you are interested or go to greig's list ,my daughter has them listed there.

Here is what not to do..Last may 2010 picked up a new bike and about 2 weeks later I installed rush slipons, then I wasnt happy with the sound so off thay came and on with vance and hines big radi...If I hadnt been in such a hurry I wouldnt have wasted money. Know I want different handelbars, but intill I know for shore what I want, it can wait and in the mean time I will save up the money..I am old and I still have alot to learn...

I have a like new set of rush w/2" baffles for sale. Great sounding pipes but I got a set of monster ovels for a gift so had to put those on. Had many folks say that the rush pipes were a awesome sound. Give me a shout if you are interested or go to greig's list ,my daughter has them listed there.

SHARPSCUBA....When I finished my post, I saw yours. That was weard.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride the bike a bit before changing anything.. Also if its too loude you wont hear the awesome tunes!!! It`s a cruiser not a sportbike, it`s a classy machine that needs to be ridden and enjoyed!!!

Also get the manual and read it, try to do as much on your own as you can and read this forum.

Tubguy

Hi guys. I just bought (actually financed) my first ever bike. Of course it had to be a Harley. I bought a new Ultra and I need to find a set of LOUD pipes so my scoot sounds like a real Harley. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I prefer to stick with genuine HD parts, because I think they are the best.

Loud pipes save lives!

Hy Road Block. I have a 2011 Ultra and I just pull that Cat off of the Bike and installed V&V Dresser Duals with V&V Ovals, the Sound is Great. I was just going to ask Smitty about putting a Xied on it or if I Really need to because I heard most of the newer ECM Will adjust to the New Exhaust and Mufflers. Or is that True ?

everyone is giving you great advice. i had the dealer put on the rush mufflers before i took mine home. couldnt let my yamy be louder. i get home about 11pm so didnt want to loud, but also wanted to hear it. i ride with guys with all diff. pipes and some of them we make ride in the rear cause even though they sound great, after a few miles they re way to loud to follow behind.

I bought a new Ultra and I need to find a set of LOUD pipes so my scoot sounds like a real Harley. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I prefer to stick with genuine HD parts, because I think they are the best.

Loud pipes save lives!

I only have one. You mentioned in another thread
that you live in a gated community, you better be sure
that "loud pipes" won't jeopardize your lease and at least
keep your old set. If anything forces you to go back
to stock, it'll be big bucks to buy new ones...jmo

Hy Road Block. I have a 2011 Ultra and I just pull that Cat off of the Bike and installed V&V Dresser Duals with V&V Ovals, the Sound is Great. I was just going to ask Smitty about putting a Xied on it or if I Really need to because I heard most of the newer ECM Will adjust to the New Exhaust and Mufflers. Or is that True ?

Yes to some degree, but keep in mind these bikes are lean from the EPA police so more fuel is a big plus, xieds do work but TFI is better ECM Calibration And TFI - Harley Davidson Community

Back