free website stats program New HD Ultra rider...need LOUD pipes! | Harley Davidson Forums

New HD Ultra rider...need LOUD pipes!

Hi guys. I just bought (actually financed) my first ever bike. Of course it had to be a Harley. I bought a new Ultra and I need to find a set of LOUD pipes so my scoot sounds like a real Harley. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I prefer to stick with genuine HD parts, because I think they are the best.

Loud pipes save lives!

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order some pipes from the dealer and have him take the oem pipes, since I have no need for them anymore. I though the HD pipes would be the best because they would have the best chrome finish, but I'll look into some aftermarket pipes if they will be louder.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order some pipes from the dealer and have him take the oem pipes, since I have no need for them anymore. I though the HD pipes would be the best because they would have the best chrome finish, but I'll look into some aftermarket pipes if they will be louder.

The first thing I would do is go back to your dealer and see if they have any bikes similar to your bike they have changed the exhaust on I bet they have a few for you to listen to:s

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I'm looking for that classic Harley potatoe-patatoe sound.

You're not going to get that on a 2011. The old classic potato-potato was from a low idle speed which you will not achieve on the newer bikes without oil pressure problems.
I think the true duals will get you a little closer (but I could be wrong).

As for LOUD, just keep it tame around the residential areas. Noone likes to be woken up early Sunday morning by loud barking pipes or those thumping rap spewing cars.

You're not going to get that on a 2011. The old classic potato-potato was from a low idle speed which you will not achieve on the newer bikes without oil pressure problems.

As for LOUD, just keep it tame around the residential areas. Noone likes to be woken up early Sunday morning by loud barking pipes or those thumping rap spewing cars.

Don't worry about me making to much noise at this point. I'm still doing good just to keep it on two wheels at a moderate speed. Once I get more experience, then I'll let her rip and be able to hear my scoot's true voice.

I'm with you Old Hippie. I have Reinhardt True Duals on my scoot and I love the sound, or voice, as Rolling Road Block aptly calls it, but, when I cruise through quiet neighborhoods I keep the throttle down to a purr out of respect for the neighbors. I just don't want some proposed law enacted banning loud pipes. I want to have some choice here.

Road Block - I love the enthusiasm! But honestly, ride it as is for a few thousand miles. Get the 1,000 mile service in. Then just ride, and chat with guys you meet along the way. 4 or 5,000 miles later you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Not what you read in a magazine or what a dealer told you is best. Put that money in your gas tank and get your skills up first. Dont be like everyone else in your spot. Be the wise one!

Congratulations on the new steed. The question I have is did you buy a Ultra to ride and tour or just make noise. If making noise is the most important part and I understand the enthusiasm you may miss out on the best part of owning a Ultra. So as others have suggested slow down a bit and enjoy the ride.

Road Block - I love the enthusiasm! But honestly, ride it as is for a few thousand miles. Get the 1,000 mile service in. Then just ride, and chat with guys you meet along the way. 4 or 5,000 miles later you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Not what you read in a magazine or what a dealer told you is best. Put that money in your gas tank and get your skills up first. Dont be like everyone else in your spot. Be the wise one!

I agree, wait a while. I've had mine almost a year. At first I wanted to leave it stock because I like the slash up look, but after riding a while and hearing so many good sounding bikes I want to go a little louder. I leave for work at 2 am so I can't go too loud. I've been to a bike show and heard so many it is hard to decide. I'm also looking at a K & N filter and TFI. They cost too much to rush it and not be satisfied.

Back