free website stats program New forum name? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New forum name?

Here is the info provided by the site administrator:

The forum only change on the name and url address now using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol.
Nothing has changed, members can login with their own details.

SSL is a standard security protocol for establishing encrypted links between a web server and a browser in an online communication. The usage of SSL technology ensures that all data transmitted between the web server and browser remains encrypted.

They chose this domain name due to availability. They checked several & out of what was available to purchase, they felt this was the best choice. ;)

Appreciate the updates on what happened, but something doesn't quite feel right with the info.

How and why is Harley now concerned with the trademark issue? Harley would be concerned if the forum was selling anything that could even remotely impact their commercial interests, but forum and/or domain names have not been of concern. Look at how many are out there with HD etc. in their names, and how long this forum has operated as HDTalking.com. And the 'temporary' name has the same HD in it.

Changing servers shouldn't affect the name, or require a new name. That happens all the time as forums seek better service or price. Something else is going on here.

Thoughts?

I could be wrong but I recall something about another forum with a similar name.

Not sure if that’s the reason for the change but it makes sense.

That was RichardS and his HDTalking.net. As I recall, the disagreement was over the use of the name, images, and who had the legal rights to them.

That was years ago, four at least. Doubt it has any applicability here.

The info I posted was from the site admin, not Karen, the former owner's daughter. If you all remember, Karen's parents were involved in a horrible accident in Indonesia I believe, but she lost her mother in the accident & her father was seriously injured and survived for a while after the accident, however he passed away too. I do not know the logistics / legalities that Karen has faced in trying to keep the forum up and running after losing here parents, and I do not know what induced the name change. There could be some issue with Karen purchasing/renewing the existing domain name -( domain names are purchased for a period of time generally ) - since she was not the original owner and most likely did not have the forum transferred to her name prior to losing her father.

I do know they are using a more secure protocol for our server platform, which I will not complain about. :) - That will not affect the name change. There are so many ways to by web domains it is ridiculous. There are a lot of companies/ individuals that will buy every variation of a web domain and never use it. That will keep anyone else from being able to use that domain name. I am guessing that there are 100's of www.hd....variations of domain names that out there and that many more times 2 that are not in use, but are tied up.

THE INFORMATION I POSTED ABOVE IS ALL SPECULATION ON MY PART. I HAVE NO FACTS OR ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHY THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

I will say that the new platform has so far been more consistent in being available when I log in.

I'm back. I goofed on my password and got stubborn, and didn't want to post as a "newby". All seems well with the account now.

The info I posted was from the site admin, not Karen, the former owner's daughter. If you all remember, Karen's parents were involved in a horrible accident in Indonesia I believe, but she lost her mother in the accident & her father was seriously injured and survived for a while after the accident, however he passed away too. I do not know the logistics / legalities that Karen has faced in trying to keep the forum up and running after losing here parents, and I do not know what induced the name change. There could be some issue with Karen purchasing/renewing the existing domain name -( domain names are purchased for a period of time generally ) - since she was not the original owner and most likely did not have the forum transferred to her name prior to losing her father.

I do know they are using a more secure protocol for our server platform, which I will not complain about. :) - That will not affect the name change. There are so many ways to by web domains it is ridiculous. There are a lot of companies/ individuals that will buy every variation of a web domain and never use it. That will keep anyone else from being able to use that domain name. I am guessing that there are 100's of www.hd....variations of domain names that out there and that many more times 2 that are not in use, but are tied up.

THE INFORMATION I POSTED ABOVE IS ALL SPECULATION ON MY PART. I HAVE NO FACTS OR ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHY THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

I will say that the new platform has so far been more consistent in being available when I log in.

Thanks Joyflying, your probably more correct than not.

Back