New Electra Glider

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Joe Tappin, Nov 13, 2018.

1. gator508

gator508 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Gulf Coast AL

Joe Tappin likes this.
  2. Joe Tappin

Joe Tappin New Member

I bought it with 96,000km on the clock. The PO had the cam chest checked out and only the plastic shoes were replaced. However I will be checking them out for wear this winter. I also had to replace the swing arms bushings as I would get a wobble in the curves. I'm a machinist and have my own lathe and milling machine so I make my own special removal and installation tools when I need to. This winter I will also make myself a front fork spring compression tool as I have found out that the left fork has a cartridge inside and it has to be dismantled to do a proper fork oil change. Gonna hav fun.

3. dolt

dolt Senior Member

The tensioner shoes were most likely replaced with OEM parts so don't wait too long to get into the cam chest. Don't know how many miles on the new shoes but the Delron material has a history of sudden and catastrophic failure that can result in some bad juju. I have two Harley's in the garage, the '02 FLHT shoes were gone at 25K miles and the '05 FXSTD shoes were gone at 12K miles; just sayin.

If you get into the front suspension, you might consider tossing the cartridge and upgrading the front suspension with a set of Race Tech springs and Gold Valve Emulators; one of the best upgrades I have done on my '02 FLHT and there have been quite a few.

Welcome from south Texas.

Joe Tappin likes this.
  4. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Junior Member

Welcome from NW Indiana Joe. If you like to tinker, you bought the right ride, just keep watering your money tree!!:D

liquid_wrench and Joe Tappin like this.
  5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member Contributor

Welcome from So. Texas.
    tourbox

Joe Tappin likes this.
  6. rollingstone7

rollingstone7 Member

Welcome!

Joe Tappin likes this.
  7. Joe Tappin

Joe Tappin New Member

Appreciate the advice i will look into it soon.

8. Joe Tappin

Joe Tappin New Member

10-4 on that bro

9. jdezorzi

jdezorzi Active Member

Inner cam bearings and tensioner upgrade at 27k on my 2005 FLHTI, miles later no problems