free website stats program New Bike - How Do You Know It's Time? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike - How Do You Know It's Time?

I had a 03 RKClassic S/B,, I had the RK all deck out in chorme, ape hanges very nice bike for around town, pickup the 09 to see the USA.

For me it was just wanting. We had a 03 RKC, 24,000 miles nothing wrong with it, but I was wanting a Ultra Classic, and after a few visits to the dealer and listening to the wife telling me I wasn't old enough for a geaser glide, I got her to sit on one. Well...

It is exciting to be able to work the dealer down to a price they don't want to go to, but nothing like that grin on your face the frist ride home, looking off to the side and seeing your shadow.

Personally, that last paragraph is kinda why I do not get a new bike...do not like to deal with the shananigans of "--I'll have to talk to my manager for that price..." and "...we will need to do a credit check..." and "...those charges are normal fees.." Man, you have the patience of a saint to call that exciting!!! :small3d015:

And I agree with RichardS...let circumstances, conditions and financials be your guide....Coline always reminds me about wants and needs...the difference between "pulling the trigger" or not! :D

Last edited:
I'm a cheapskate, so I don't buy anything new just because it's pretty.
My last new HD was an 86 FXRS, and I still have it. Last year I bought an 03 RG, and while I now ride that one almost exclusively, I still take the old one out every once in a while. I keep thinking about selling it, but I wouldn't get much for it (200,000 miles on it, and it shows), and I have to admit that as much as I've gotten used to the "road sofa", it's still nice to get on the old one and remember what "In The Wind" really feels like.
I'll either die with the RG or on it; I'm not buying another bike.

I agree, 200,000 miles is a lot of zero's to pass over 2 wheels on a 1986 FXRS is pretty amazing...something Willie G. would be proud of, got my interest to say the least! :lero

What is scary is when you think about 40 plus years of riding a few lost to extended summer vactions in far away lands.
I lot of miles have been racked up so many few would beleave it if you told them.
Longest I ever kept same bike was about 70,000.
RG might be around longer than that and FB is not tp far off.
Million miles in 20 years is only 50,000 a year not that hard to do if retired.

So that's the key! Only 13 years to go now that they raised my retirement age to 65! We'll be empty nesters when we drop off our youngest tomorrow at UGA so I'm going to treat that as being partially retired!

It happened for my wife and I when we were out on the 03 v-rod riding through subdivisions and a hour and a half later she's like my butt hurts I want to go home. Also with her talking of taking a trip to Manitowoc, WI on the bike then taking a fairy over to Michigan and riding there I was like there is no way that is going to happen on a 03 v-rod with the malidies we had "oldbuttidis". That's why I got the Road Glide.

I hope she don't read this or I'm toast.:D

Back