free website stats program New Bike - How Do You Know It's Time? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike - How Do You Know It's Time?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I'm just really curious what thought process everyone goes through before pulling the trigger and getting a new bike. New model year improvements? Desire for a new color? Want to get a fresh 2 year warranty instead of extending the one on your present bike? Change in riding style or habits? Request from your significant other? Win the lottery?!?

I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are forum members! Let's hear what it was that convinced you to say good bye to your previous ride and get something new.

I've always used the 'stuff' rule. When more stuff goes wrong on the bike than on yourself, I look for a new one. Saves you money as you get older, too.

I've always used the 'stuff' rule. When more stuff goes wrong on the bike than on yourself, I look for a new one. Saves you money as you get older, too.

So as long as your current ride is running fine, you don't even think about getting something new? Man, that's discipline!

I'm just really curious what thought process everyone goes through before pulling the trigger and getting a new bike. New model year improvements? Desire for a new color? Want to get a fresh 2 year warranty instead of extending the one on your present bike? Change in riding style or habits? Request from your significant other? Win the lottery?!?

I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are forum members! Let's hear what it was that convinced you to say good bye to your previous ride and get something new.

New bike? Nah, i'll prolly keep rebuilding it until its exactly what i want. When my engine dies, i might just get an S&S engine replacement until i build the old one back like i want. Or have it built :) I'm thinking i can get 500k miles out of my speedo... We'll see if i can keep the rubber side down that long.

Like I do with everything else,when something grabs my attention then I will know its time,could be in 10 days,could be 10 years from now:D

For me it was just wanting. We had a 03 RKC, 24,000 miles nothing wrong with it, but I was wanting a Ultra Classic, and after a few visits to the dealer and listening to the wife telling me I wasn't old enough for a geaser glide, I got her to sit on one. Well than she began to understand, comfort, radio,cd,ipod connection, more storage and it's lockable, now we know having the tour pack gives you more space for needed, quick access to something, what I soon found out was this area would not be for me, seems it was for all the keep the wife happy stuff, hair curling, straightening, drying, ect. If I could use some of it to detail the bike with I would. As for our 2nd bike, 09 RKC, We just missed that kind of a ride, and after 6 months of should we shouldn't we, we order'd it. It is exciting to be able to work the dealer down to a price they don't want to go to, but nothing like that grin on your face the frist ride home, looking off to the side and seeing your shadow.

When you are in a Dealer and the Bike Calls your name and grabs your attention you will know! The main thing is to stay out of the Dealer! Hmmmm

I think the best time to go for a good bike is when you think you are getting old ,then at that time go for a new bike and you will feel young again.because this beauty is just a class in it self.

Noddy

I have a FLHRI '03 with 40K. It is a keeper end of discussion. One broken throttle cable is the only illness it has had.

One thing particulary stimulating me to "jump" on a new scoot is paint scheme. An it is a paint scheme that is going away in 2010. Bottom line is, I am on my third Roadking, which I have loved all three, but none of these cycles had a paint scheme that really spun my beanie. Of these three I would just get a "King" with the color that I liked the most, at the time offered.

With all of this being said, I have an '09 Softail Deluxe on hold at a Dealer. Color: DEEP TURQUOISE & ANTIQUE WHITE :) Oh Lordy it is beautiful.:bigsmiley8:

Back