free website stats program New Battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Battery

I like the Deka battery. The first one I owned lasted for 5 years, it still cranked the bike but was starting to get weak so I replaced it with a new one. Note, a weak battery will shorten the life of your starter.

Just another fact about the Motor Factory brand battery from Custom Chrome that I mentioned in my previous post. Their battery is made by Yuasa. Yuasa is an American made battery built by folks in Laureldale, PA. Good products IMO.

From their website...

I have a Honda, a Vic, and a Harley. The Honda is a 1994 and only on it's second battery. The Vic is a 2005, and still on it's first battery.

The Harley is newer to me, and had the battery replaced last year after the original owner didn't ride it for two years.

I believe all 3 are Yuasa.

The trick is to always place a trickle charger on your bikes when you won't use them for more than 6 weeks or so. If you do that, lead acid batteries will last forever. If you run them down 2 or 3 times they will need replacing.

Dobe

Does anyone know of a good place in Oklahoma to get a battery, preferably in the Muskogee or McAlester area, as these are closest to me. I called Myers-Duren in Tulsa today and was quoted a price of $115, but of course, it's got the Harley name on it. I'll pay that, but I'd sure like to find a place closer to home to get parts and accessories.

I went to my local NAPA in Feb (just before I left for Florida and Daytona) and they just happened to have a Deka in stock. As far as I'm concerned it's exactly like the HD without the HD logo. I expect it to last as long as the original.

I bought a Deka battery from the East Penn warehouse in Carrollton, TX about a month ago. Had a great chat with the manager, and he assured me that the battery I had just purchased was identical to the HD OEM, except they could not pour the last 1/8 inch or so of the lead connection post and make it flush to the edge of the battery like the HD battery. He didn't know why that was, but it was true. The battery I bought came with spacers to fill the gap. The battery I pulled out of my 05 Road King in their parking lot was built in June of 2005 per the code on the battery, the original battery. You could clearly see the difference in the posts when the batteries were side by side. Not bad battery life. I'm going with Deka in 6 years when I need another battery.

I bought a Deka battery about a month ago. The battery I pulled out of my 05 Road King was built in June of 2005 the original battery. Not bad battery life.
I'm going with Deka in 6 years when I need another battery.

The battery you removed from the bike was the original HD battery from 2005. The battery you just installed one month ago is a Deka. You already know that in 6 years from now your going to be happy with its service life and you will be buying another Deka when this one wears out??

The battery you removed from the bike was the original HD battery from 2005. The battery you just installed one month ago is a Deka. You already know that in 6 years from now your going to be happy with its service life and you will be buying another Deka when this one wears out??

He must have a really reliable crystal ball! :p

Back