free website stats program new battery | Harley Davidson Forums

new battery

washwoman

Just installed a new battery 3 weeks ago in my 2008 1200L. Now bike won't start, all it is doing is making a clicking noise. Put the volt meter on the battery with bike off and it is reading 12.60. When trying to start bike it drops down to around 7.7 amps. The battery has a full charge but won't crank bike over. Does this mean my battery is no good or could there be something else wrong. Only 6000 miles on bike.

Just installed a new battery 3 weeks ago in my 2008 1200L. Now bike won't start, all it is doing is making a clicking noise. Put the volt meter on the battery with bike off and it is reading 12.60. When trying to start bike it drops down to around 7.7 amps. The battery has a full charge but won't crank bike over. Does this mean my battery is no good or could there be something else wrong. Only 6000 miles on bike.

Before panicking, try removing the battery cables at both ends, cleaning the mating surfaces with a wire brush and reinstalling (neg off first, on last). See if that helps.

TQ

When trying to start bike it drops down to around 7.7 amps.

You really mean volts not amps correct? Where is your meter attached, directly at the battery or somewhere else such as the starter or fuse box.?

It could be the new battery-- it could be the bike. I would first perform what TQ suggested. If all is well and still no joy, I would remove the battery and have it load tested.

ok took battery back out and cleaned the mating surfaces and still no go

and yes sorry I did mean volts, takin the battery up to be tested tomorrow, cleanin the mating surfaces didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like TQ suggested, make sure you cleaned both ends of both cables not just at the battery itself. After that If you are checking voltage directly at the battery and not elsewhere my bet is you have a bad battery.

If you do find you have a bad battery please post back what brand battery it is. Also once you get it running again be sure to check your charging system to see if that is killing your batteries.

And was it properly brought up to full charge before installing?????

Good point!

All replacement batteries should be given a full charge before installation to insure maximum life span or the life span expected can be diminished .

Check the connection at the starter also, if it is loose or corroded you will lose valuable cranking volts, The battery cable will be hot to the bare hand:s

Back