free website stats program New Bagger Guy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bagger Guy

Can you expand on what the critical fasteners would be? Lots of nuts and bolts, what would be considered critical? THX.

Congrats on the new bike. I also would recommend a HD service manual and do the service yourself. I have noticed that the times my bike has been in the shop and I bring it home and check the bolts they are not tight enough, I always recheck with a torque wrench. I am a big believer in torque wrenches and proper torque and sequence of tightening bolts if applicable. Good luck.

I need some feedback please, I just got rid of my old bike (metric) and bought an 06 FLX. It's got 11,000 miles on it. It probably did not have the 10K service done on it looking at the oil. I reviewed the 10K service checklist and see that alot of the items are very minor. Lube all hinges, lube and check the Jiffy stand, Inspect the brake pads etc. I am very mechanical and while I never have worked on a Harley, other than the fluid changes, primary, transmission and engine oil is there anything I really need to be concerned with. I see the primary chain needs to be checked along with the clutch. I ask because my local dealer where I bought the bike wants $599.95 to perform the service. maybe I am missing something.... forgive me as I am a newbe....Is this is just another way the local dealer to make a fistfull of money. I don't mean to offend anyone here,it just seems excessive to me. Thanks for the replies.....by the way there is no warranty or extended warranty on the bike to be concerned about.....

$599.95 is not only excessive, it's a crime! I'm a first time HD owner from last year and somewhat mechanically included. I bought a service manual and jack plus some needed tools and started doing my own servicing @10,000mi check up. It's all pretty simple following the service manual. Good luck and keep us posted.

And welcome to Bagger Nation. You made a wise choice with your FLX. Great looking and have heard only minor if any complaints,

Back