free website stats program Need to add miles to my odometer | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need to add miles to my odometer

how about a fence around california and we drop them as a state. then they can be a separate country and they can get a passport to visit the no so left coast.

Guys Guys (eh...and Gals) please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. As I said in Post #23 laws are always setup right to separate the lawless activity from lawbiding, but still be fair to the every day man (usually)! California has an economy greater than 80% of the world and does contribute much to these United States...but is certainly not perfect. As George Harrison said, "--with every mistake we must be learning...!"

And as one of the posters said, you should look into possible exemptions as you are not doing a "Gray Market" deal that the law was set up for...

The California law is less about smog and more about taxes. Calif. has what it calls a "use" tax which is designed to keep residents from buying a car or bike outside the state and bringing it in without paying Calif state sales tax. The use tax is in lieu of the sales tax. But if the vehicle is a used vehicle, the use tax doesn't apply. The definition of used is 7500 miles on the clock.

I don't know where the specific 7500 comes from, but that's the real point of the law. The smog thing is just an additional benefit for the state.

It's always about the money!

ProF is correct in that California has a lot of problems that stem from getting revenue from taxes, and having to borrow money for the 1st quarter of the year because of tax revenue not being collected til the magic month of April (but most states in the US discovered that little tidbit long ago) and their 2/3 vote requirement which slows decision making similar to the Federal government crawl and indecision tug-o-war we all are weary of. Still, California is the home of high tech, manufacturing and agriculture...only at a much larger scale, like I said with an economical engine rivaling most countries of the world.

That said, Bluehound should really look into finding an exemption, as he is not "skirting" California law, just trying to abide by it. There is also an extension on registration for 1 year if out of state and his registration is up to date there, so he might accumulate the miles during the grace period, as we do have a very wide riding season. As an alternative, I do have room in my garage to help him accumalate the neccessary 4,200 miles...no sacrafice too great here at HDT :D

Last edited:
Keep your eyes open for a speedo for sale that has the appropriate miles. It's Christmas time and so a lot of people have received new gauges, ie: spun aluminum, titanium, Dakota digital, etc. You can check e-bay, craigslist or the classifieds on this or other HD forums.

Also, I just replaced my gauges with spun aluminum and all it took was a call to an online dealer to tell them how many miles to set on the new speedo / OD. I won't mention the name of the dealer but I hear it's windy there and they really like Bears and Bulls. So if you are willing to spend another $170 to solve your problem, that is the easiest solution. Is it illegal? You bet. But so is changing your exhaust system.

I have a 2006 Road King that was bought new in CO. Now I am trying to register it in CA and they won't register it until it has 7500 miles on it. Current mileage is 3300. The DMV suggested going on a long road trip and bring it back. Certainly, there must be an easier way of adding miles other than letting it idle on a lift for 3 days. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Check out Motorcycle salvage yards or Ebay and buy a used odometer install it until it is registered

BuffaloBILL

The California law is less about smog and more about taxes. Calif. has what it calls a "use" tax which is designed to keep residents from buying a car or bike outside the state and bringing it in without paying Calif state sales tax. The use tax is in lieu of the sales tax. But if the vehicle is a used vehicle, the use tax doesn't apply. The definition of used is 7500 miles on the clock.

I don't know where the specific 7500 comes from, but that's the real point of the law. The smog thing is just an additional benefit for the state.

It's always about the money!

In missouri you pay a missouri sales tax no matter where you buy your car! but if you already own it and move here its yours. it gose on your yearly personal property taxes that you have to pay each year to be able to buy tags for it! your use and our personal property law is just like most all other laws , they dont really care about you its a matter of revenue! nothing more! DOWN WITH CAREER POLITICIANS! Why as a somewhat inteligent being do we as a mass let a small handfull of spenders tell us how to live???? What happened to taking care of yourself? Sorry I once agian have been caught up in the moment.

Years back I was in LA for a week during late January. The air was think enough to walk on. They need something out there. In a few year most mv's sold here will be 50 state complient because all states are moving in that direction. NH's air quality has bee falling for a few years and they are looking to make changes.

Does the Cal. DMV actually look at the odometer? In GA, we just tell them the mileage
and sign that we are not lying.

Gotto love Ga. and their DMV.
I can remember years ago regersting a bike didn't have to have a title, proof of insurance and could tell them any milage you wanted to, getting a cage reg. was almost as easy.:D

Back