free website stats program need some brainstorming | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

need some brainstorming

Just got home hooked up the charger and tried to fire it up. Crank but no start. Pull the plus to check for spark, no spark on either plug.
WAP.gif

no spark on either plug.

If both plugs are removed at the same time, you won't have spark.
Leave the plugs installed in heads and use a spark gap tool to test for spark.
You should now see spark.

tool=> Thexton 404 Adjustable Ignition Spark Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive

Lisle 50850 Ignition Spark Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive

Your making this repair more complicated than it should be. Instead of checking for spark, you should have squirted some fuel into the throttle body. That would have told you more.

Left the bike on high charge for about an hour. And it stated on first push of the button. Could a low battery be the cause of no spark by not cranking fast enough. If so, it could be the cold pulling the battery down enough while sitting in garage
WAP.gif

About 2 yrs. back a buddy & I were in Boerne,Tex for a Rally.This was in Feb. and it was cold Saturday morning when we got up. My oil temp gauge showed about 19 deg. He had a'99 Gold Wing.When trying to start up for the days ride, mid 20's by now, his bike seem to turn over fine but wouldn't start. Don't recall if it was FI or carb, but I think it was carbed. Anyway long story short we had to go get a charger & charged the battery up.It then started fine with little effort. The next morning the same thing happened. It would start just fine the rest of the day after initial charge up.He replaced the battery after getting back home.The engine sounded as though it was turning over with plenty of RPMs for start up , but it wasn't. I would change the battery like you stated.
tourbox

thank you to everyone who left a suggestion. I learned some new things about this bike and some new things about how to troubleshoot. I have come to the conclusion with everyones help and trial and error on my part that the battery is getting weak and the cold weather is pulling it down just enough to not get a good rotation.

its just very frustrating when you try many different things and research and read so much and you still cant find the problem then and when it turns out to be something as simple as a WEAK battery one feels kinda stupid. so i will now be buying a new battery. at least now i have a spare temp sensor, spark plugs, plug wires and will have a weak but still usable battery for soemthing else.

ONe more question,
I used Optima battery in my drag car becasue of dependability and strength so is there a mototrcycle battery comparable or what seems to be most peoples favorite.

You'll get primarily two opinions. Some here swear by OEM Harley batteries from the dealer.....me on the other hand opted to save $50 and got a Deka battery made by Penn Manufacturing, the same folks that make the factory OEM Harley batteries. Unless you want the Harley sticker on it for $50 more or so. I haven't had a single issue with the Deka :newsmile093:

And if the bike sits for any length of time, and I'm not sure how little time, but for me it is 3-4 months of winter, have a battery tender on it. That will save a battery for sure. I'm still on my factory batt. and I got mine in Nov. 06. I'ts probably getting close though.

Back