free website stats program need some brainstorming | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

need some brainstorming

Agree that you need to check all cable connections, make sure the cables are clean... and tight.

My guess would be that the battery is too old, and it is past it's "Due Date".

Battery's only last about 3-5 years anymore, less in the colder states. less with a bike with mucho electrical accessories. I figure it's cheap insurance to just go ahead and buy a new one at least every 4 years, and use a Battery Tender if she sits more than a week, or it's colder (<35 F) outside.

It's extremely hard to diagnose stuff without seeing it, but hope this maybe helps.:eam

Bob

I don't think lower octane gas would be the culprit. Lower octance gas is actually easier to ignite and in cold weather it might actually aid in starting.

gotta agree with Prophet and Tank here. Cold weather is harder on a battery than heat due to trying to "heat up" the plates / acid inside and if your battery is the same age as the 05 your riding , I would - JMO - look at getting a replacement. The battery has alot more jobs to do other than just firing up the bike. This is twice as you stated youve had trouble starting it when the temps drop. Now if you have a fairly new battery installed , I would check ALL of my connections , etc.
Agree with Tank with the "lower" octane fuel being the cause of the trouble. might cause some spitting & sputtering but dont believe it would cause this. Either put some fuel cleaner of your choice in it or run it down to about a 3/4 to 1/2 a tank then go back with some mid or high octane. Another - JMO - thing to keep in mind not everyone buys high octane for their cars/trucks/bikes so you run the risk of getting some stale fuel.

Perform a WOW test for any codes. Replace the engine temp sensor or check the one you have by removing it and chilling it down to 30 degrees. The resistance must be at least 9250 ohms when at 30*F or the bike will be hard starting when cold..

Since it starts when you spray some fuel in it, there is a very good chance it's the temp sensor.

Also, what are you using for fuel enrichment (TFI, Super Tuner, download etc).

im going to try the plugs, some heet or dry gas, and the temp sensor.

Its not a battery problem she will crank and crank and crank until i run the battery down. but if i spray a little fluid in it she fires right up. this only happened when it was close to freezing out and she as sitting in the parking lot.

im going to try the plugs, some heet or dry gas, and the temp sensor.

Its not a battery problem she will crank and crank and crank until i run the battery down. but if i spray a little fluid in it she fires right up. this only happened when it was close to freezing out and she as sitting in the parking lot.

I would be Leary of putting Heet in the tank, why put more alcohol in it? Have you run a fuel pressure test?

While you are at work, do you park it indoors or outdoors? Maybe an electric engine blanket could keep it warm enough to start up... just a guess . . ..

i have to park it outdoors in the parking lot.

i caught so much (EDIT) from the guys at work who ride metrics about it being to cold for a Harley, or maybe it wont start because there is a chance for rain, that if you had kept the Yamaha it wouldnt be a problem etc etc. you know all the usual Metric vs Harley jabs. It is frustrating having a bike as nice as this but cant ride it because it might not fire up.

the reason for putting alcohol in the gas tank is because it will "mix" with the water and help to evaporate the water out or to help it burn out.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
As we get more info, we can narrow it down.

Battery is OK.

Bike DOES run, so chances are the fuel in the tank is OK, at least to start the bike.

Bike DOES run, so we can assume plugs are OK as well.

Everything now points directly at Cold Start fuel delivery.

Check:

Fuel Filter. Especially check the hose that connects the Fuel Pump to the Fuel filter. The metal bracket inside the tank has been known to wear a pinhole or two in the hose, effecting fuel pressure and delivery - especially for a cold start.

Check the IAC - Idle Air Controller - on the top side of the throttle body. Clean with carb cleaner. These get gummed up sometimes with dirty oil blowback, and need to be serviced. The IAC will provide a higher idle RPM at cold starts, until the motor warms up.

Check the Temperature Sensor on the cylinder head. Resistance level will be different at different engine temperatures, and send a signal at cold temperatures to provide an extended injector pulse width, thereby providing more raw fuel at cold starts. You'll need a multi-meter, and the manual for correct resistance readings.

Fuel filter line pinhole is a fairly common culprit for cold start issues, and you'll need to refer to the manual for the resistance settings on the Temp Sensor, or take the bike in to a reputable dealer or independent - check Sticky on this forum for good/bad dealers and indy's.

Good Luck!!

Bob

As we get more info, we can narrow it down.

Battery is OK.

Bike DOES run, so chances are the fuel in the tank is OK, at least to start the bike.

Bike DOES run, so we can assume plugs are OK as well.

Everything now points directly at Cold Start fuel delivery.

Check:

Fuel Filter. Especially check the hose that connects the Fuel Pump to the Fuel filter. The metal bracket inside the tank has been known to wear a pinhole or two in the hose, effecting fuel pressure and delivery - especially for a cold start.

Check the IAC - Idle Air Controller - on the top side of the throttle body. Clean with carb cleaner. These get gummed up sometimes with dirty oil blowback, and need to be serviced. The IAC will provide a higher idle RPM at cold starts, until the motor warms up.

Check the Temperature Sensor on the cylinder head. Resistance level will be different at different engine temperatures, and send a signal at cold temperatures to provide an extended injector pulse width, thereby providing more raw fuel at cold starts. You'll need a multi-meter, and the manual for correct resistance readings.

Fuel filter line pinhole is a fairly common culprit for cold start issues, and you'll need to refer to the manual for the resistance settings on the Temp Sensor, or take the bike in to a reputable dealer or independent - check Sticky on this forum for good/bad dealers and indy's.

Good Luck!!

Bob

Thank You Prophet for the input. it is very helpful and I will get to checking ASAP.

Actually thanks to all of you for the suggestions they all will help.

I have had the same experince with my 2009 Road King. It has 12,000 miles on it. In the early mornong when its cold out it will turn but wont start. Takes a few trys. Starts the first time in warmer weather. Please post any fix you find works. Your not alone. :D

Back