free website stats program Need some advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice

The TFI will do loads for your lean problem. If you want more low end back pressure and a better less obnoxious tone on V&H's ask them if they sell a quiet baffle for you model pipes. I got them for my V&H's Big Shots and they make a difference in the sound frequency and create some back pressure to go along with it. I bought mine at Amazon for $23 each (I have duals).

They are not that much quieter, still pretty loud, but it's a different more civilized frequency sound and my bike runs better and my ears don't ring as bad after a long ride. For 2x bucks a baffle you can't beat um, they are solid built and come with fiberglass already wrapped around the perimeter. You need to wrap it 'more' though with clear scotch tape prior to installing since it's a tight fit and otherwise some of the fiberglass will tear off.

I have a softail springer and had the same issue. I pulled off my pipes and replaced the exhaust gaskets. Taking the old one's out was a job, didn't even look like there were gaskets in there. Putting them in was easy. Very cheap fix. I did it myself.

Good luck...
Carol

I finally got in contact with Dobeck and ordered the Gen 3 EJk for my Heritage. It arrived in the mail today and in just a little over an hour, I had it installed and I was on my way for a test ride! Man what a difference, the engine seemed to run cooler, it was smoother cruising at slow city speeds and no more popping. I think I'm going to ride it at the factory settings for a while before I start to tinker with tuning it. I can't say Thanks enough for all the helpful advice and for the link to getting a discount and free shipping just for being a member of this awesome forum. For those of you out there even considering the TfI unit or the Gen 3 EJK unit, I highly recommend it. It truly is a plug and play system. Again Thanks for everyone’s input!

Hey, I am a noob to this site and just getting back in riding.
Also just bought a 2006 Heritage Softail with 7800 miles on the clock.

It has the V&H Big Shot Longs on it and seems to be experiencing
the same problem as this OP wrote about (popping on decel).

It also is LOUD and my fuel miles is not really that great (34 mpg).

Will the TFI Tuner help me in this situation?

I already have the "quiet baffles" for my pipes but haven't installed the yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

my fuel miles is not really that great (34 mpg).

Is that city or highway. I would bet you already have some type of fueler on the bike with fuel mileage like that, I would look. You got something going on....

Is that city or highway. I would bet you already have some type of fueler on the bike with fuel mileage like that, I would look. You got something going on....
To be honest I haven't had the bike but a few weeks. The miles I have put on it have been primarily highway with some (20%) city riding.

Just curious (learning here) what do you mean by "fueler"?

I checked and the bike DOES NOT have a Power Commander installed.

OH ... and my bike has the SE Stage 1 air cleaner (that is what I was told) with, I presume, the dealer modified ECM download.

My 1st question really should have been....
Does your 2006 have O2 sensors in the header pipes. (They will be close to the cylinder head)

How do you know that you do not have a Power Commander? Asked previous owner or checked the ECM/ under seat?

Back