free website stats program Need some advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice

John Doe

I bought a used 2006 Heritage Softail Classic; it has been popping on deceleration and in between shifting gears. It has a Vance and Hines slash cut big shot exhaust. I have been told from a mechanic that the baffles need to be pulled out and rebuilt to add more back pressure to remedy this situation. I had a local Harley dealer tell me the bike has an aftermarket air breather and a stock ECM. and I need to have a power commander installed and a dyno tune done because it's running too lean. What’s you're advice?

Less restrictive after-market exhaust can sometimes cause decel popping as can running lean and/or an exhaust leak.

First you must eliminate the possibility of any exhaust leaks and if the problem persist adding fuel can help but may not completely do away with all the popping. With both the after-market air and exhaust you are running leaner than in stock form.

You can add fuel by using a Power Commander or as lots of members here have done by using a TFI unit. The Dyno-Tune is not necessary for a street ridden bike and is overkill IMO.

By your mechanic wanting to rebuild the baffles, I am assuming he means to re-wrap the baffles and reinstall which may help as well.

Go with what is posted above and the TFI unit. NO dyno tune, you set it up with the recommended settings for your mods and take the wife out to dinner with the $$$ you saved. Re pack your present baffles.

They work!:s

Thanks for the great advise I checked out the link provided above and I will be ordering a T F I unit. Do you really think the baffles need repacked the bike only has 6400 miles on it.
WAP.gif

See how the bike is after checking for exhaust leaks and installing the TFI unit. That may be all that is needed to reduce the popping and the baffles can be wrapped later if need be. It will change the tone of the exhaust to some degree, usually gives a deeper sounding tone by wrapping the baffles.

Congrats on your 06 Heritage. Being an 06 with 64000 miles on her it would be time well spent reading up on your cam chain tensioners. Not trying to freak you out but this is a must do. This may sway your decision on what tuner you go for, if you are looking to up grade your cams or other mods later you are going to want something you can remap yourself. A bit of reseach now will save you some $$$ later.

Congrats on your 06 Heritage. Being an 06 with 64000 miles on her it would be time well spent reading up on your cam chain tensioners. Not trying to freak you out but this is a must do. This may sway your decision on what tuner you go for, if you are looking to up grade your cams or other mods later you are going to want something you can remap yourself. A bit of reseach now will save you some $$$ later.

Totally agree with you here but the OP only has 6400 miles on the clock....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back