free website stats program Need reassurance on H-D reliability | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need reassurance on H-D reliability

Riding on the highway at 70mph I catch the sight of an acorn nut falling off the windshield right in front of me. Made me nervous of what else is loose. I just had the 1000 mile checkup at the dealer so all the critical fasteners are solid??

You're fine, change the fluids and twist the throttle. Never had any problems w/ my '97 EVO and my new Ultra is fantastic. Good thing about a HD is that if you do break down (not probable) there is a chance you can fix it yourself. If you break down near Sturgis, I'll help you wrench on it as I live only 25 miles away, in Rapid City SD.

I know what you mean, a lot of negative comments are on this and other Harley forums. My guess is there are a lot of guys who bought a Harley not because they like to ride so much but because of the mystique of the brand and didn't realize it is a machine with issues. Every bike I have owned had issues, some worse than any I have had with my two Harley's. they are good bikes, don't let the naysaying RUBs on this forum discourage you
R

No offense intended, but you probably should have stuck with your honda.
You seem to have bought a Harley not because you loved the machine, but because you wanted to be whatever it is you think Harley owners are, and do whatever it is you think Harley owners do.
Personally, I would think nothing of getting on any bike I have ever owned, and going where ever I pleased.
If I had no more faith in my equipment than you do, I would sell it.

Just ride her Jim...statistically many more satisfied riders than those who are not, clearly the HDTimeline Forum gets most hits from riders who have had problems or want advise to repair or maintain their machines, which will "skew" the perception that HD is the reliable machine it is.

They are built like a tractor (in a nice way), lots of metal, using tried and true technology close to 75 years old (V-Twin big bore stuff anyways); made pretty tough with R&D to maintain traditional look and feel of old, but plenty of reliable materials and technology that have matured to a high state of tune, but not enough to cut into the longivity of the machine, but actually extend it.

I took up riding about 4 years ago at age 55. I bought my first Harley, an 09 Road Glide, about 6 months ago. I know that forums such as this one are magnets (in a good sense) for people seeking solutions for problems, but I'm becoming concerned about all the comments about Harleys regarding flaking paint, leaking this and that, failing parts, etc. I'm thinking about riding from Calif. to Sturgis this year on my Harley and need some reassurance about H-D's reliability. I've never had any problems with my Goldwing, but I'd rather ride to a rally like Sturgis on the Harley. Yes, I need some hand holding. Thanks.

Hate to rain on your parade;BUT:I have a 13 month old 2008 FLSTN with just under 800 miles on it.Because i dont overly use any of my cars or bikes,i've put permanent "Quick Connect" battery charger leads on them and once every week or so, i plug my "c tek" battery charger onto each for preventative maintainance.
A week ago i noticed the H-D battery was not charging via the charger.Tried again the next day and noticed the same thing.H m m m!Went to start it;barely turned over.Note: parasitic draw is not the issue here:it's a battery that wont hold charge.
Got out my voltmeter and measured 12 volts across a battery which had had 8 hours charging via one of the most technically advanced battery chargers on the market today
Rang my local dealer from which we'd bought 3 bikes.Bring it in they say.So I have to arrange a Flat Bed tow truck to cart the bike in.

Get the bike in and the mechanic says there has been some issues with late model stators and that is probably the problem.As soon as i tell the mechanic i have a Thundermax fitted,he says that's the issue.When i press him as to why that may be so,i'm told it "just is".When i press further about why should a T/max impact the charging system when magnets and windings and voltage regulators and full wave bridge rectifiers take care of that-and IF a battery will not hold a charge ,that in itself normally indicates a faulty battery,he says he agrees with me "110 %",but Harley will have to validate ANY warranty work.(a battery costs what?$150 or so?

So i've waited over a week for a response;none yet.Bear in mind no one i've spoken to in H.O.G with a T/max fitted has had an issue and this Dealer FITS T/maxes to customers' bikes!

I have either a failed battery or issues with the electrical system.And warranty issues.This on a bike barely a year old with totally insignificant miles on it.I've contacted a Lawyer and WILL proceed with a Lawsuit if Harley give me a runaround.

Hardly confidence inspiring.

Find another dealer that knows what they are doing. Mr goodwrench has no idea and wants to appear as the "person in the know".
They certainly aren't looking out for your interesting telling you that Harley has to validate any claims even if it is true. They can simply test it and if they find a charging system fault, go from there and replace the defective part, not try to scare you.

You don't have to ask questions if your having fun, that's why you don't see people asking on here why is my smile so big , why is this so much fun. People on here ask about trouble's they don't know about, not how much fun your having, they know how much FUN they're having. Don't be scared and you will have a good time too. :s:D ENJOY

Rode my 08 Ultra Classic to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI last year from New Jersey. Just completed a round-trip from NJ to Atlanta two weeks ago. I am getting ready for a trip to Key West on the 19th of June. Just ride and Ride Safe!

I would Ride and Enjoy the Bike, if something should happen on the Road there are Dealers and Shops everywhere to Help you out, the Bike is Under Warranty so you should be good to go, RG'S are the Best, I have One!

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

Back