free website stats program Need help! New rider coaching! | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help! New rider coaching!

09GLDR

Ok guys and gals, My girlfriend decided she wants to ride her own bike. We found a 05 Dyna Superglide Custom for her. Got her enrolled in the Riders Edge program at the dealership in two weeks. My problem is that i'm a NERVOUS WRECK! She has trouble driving her car! I want her to suceed so badly but at the same time I have my reservations about this. I hope i'm not scaring her by telling her how much of a huge responsibility it is to operate her own bike and how awful I would feel if something bad happened. Do any of you guys out there who have been through this before with their significant others have any tips besides the long nights at the parking lots and what a great investment a engine guard will be. She is 29 and has absolutly zero expierence. She does however understand the concept of a clutch because her car is a stick. :help:help

Thank you,
Not sleeping 09GLDR

I think she would be better served if you were to start her off on a smaller, lighter bike.
With zero experience, even a dyna is going to be large and heavy. My advice would be to find a used metric in the 250/300 cc range to get her started.
You want to get her started right on 2 wheels, not intimidate or frighten her with her 1st experience.

I think she would be better served if you were to start her off on a smaller, lighter bike.
With zero experience, even a dyna is going to be large and heavy. My advice would be to find a used metric in the 250/300 cc range to get her started.
You want to get her started right on 2 wheels, not intimidate or frighten her with her 1st experience.

Oh gs34 how right you are, I pushed a used sporty and similar smaller bikes, but in typical "only child" spoiled by her parents all her life, she saw the Dyna and her mind was set! (I hope she doesn't join this forum now and read that, oops!) and your right i don't want to scare her but do want her to realize it not as easy as alot of us make it look. Thanks buddy.

Tactfully suggest that she garages the Dyna until she puts a few miles on a smaller bike to get her comfortable with the aspect of riding on two wheels

I'm going through the same thing ! But its with my Duaghter,I have her on a Sporty but I'm hoping its not too much right now.I think baby steps is require for both of us. And I'm with you on the responsability part. I dont want to see anything bad happen and WE both know how Quickly it can. Oh and yea, I do make it look easy dont I !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta agree with Smitty. I found out the best thing was to let someone else teach her (plus she attended the HD rider's course) and not get rapped around the axle about it. I give her technical type tips but try and stay away from riding instruction; we are both happer for it. & my wife IS on this forum....

Gotta agree with Smitty. I found out the best thing was to let someone else teach her (plus she attended the HD rider's course) and not get rapped around the axle about it. I give her technical type tips but try and stay away from riding instruction; we are both happer for it. & my wife IS on this forum....

Kinda figured it was your wife when she referred to her husband across the miles:s

I am her. When Bait bought me my '79 XLS in the 80's we had someone else teach me how to ride. That is why we are still married 24 years later! This time around I did take the Rider's Edge course as times have changed and I felt I needed a refresher. After taking the course I was surprised that I survived on that XLS! It wasn't that I was riding "wrong" but there are so many tips that you don't learn just by following someone else. So taking the class was money well spent.

MJ

Starting her on a smaller bike would make it a little easier (at first) but I really don't think the dyna is too big. I think it is 100 times more important that she get the good training. The course should help provide that. After the course, encourage her to practice what she has been taught. When riding together keep the pace and challenges at a level she can handle.

Hope it all works out for the best.

Back