free website stats program Need frame VIN help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Need frame VIN help!

brdavisjr

I bought a frame 8 years ago from a friend and bike builder who never got around to building my bike. He was killed 2 months ago pushing his bike by a car not looking. I never got the Title or paperwork, so here I have a frame with a VIN number on it that I need help on decoding. I can't even sell it without a Title.

VIN is: 4EMEL2E23VN146023

Can anyone help me here?

I did not find any help on decoding the VIN as posted. The links reagrding the issue want me to pay for the answer. If I go to the DMV and ask them for the registration name, would I get the manufacturer name then? Also, this VIN seems to be an aftermarket brand that can be built as a new custom H-D bike. Is there anyone able to tell me anything about this issue?

here in CA you can put a lien on it and after a certain period of time DMV will give you a title as long as no one contest ownership, probably the easiest way to get title without any knowledge of frame builder

I'm not so sure about that here in Florida. I was looking into the Abandoned Vehicle portion of a law here in Daytona, but I'd have to file a report with law enforcement, pay a $300 fee for the 90 day ad to display a Notice to the public and the investigation costs before I will be eligible for a Title registration.

What I really need is someone to decode the VIN for me so I can contact the manufacturer to verify the name on the original title!

All I understood about building my bike, was that I just had to take it to an inspection place here with the DMV to register the title. But that was 8 years ago. Since my bike builder never got started on the bike before his death, and recently I've been told by a bike builder in Tennessee, that the laws have changed so much that you have to have a clear title before you build the bike! Or the bike will be confiscated regardless!!

I don't know a thing about it, but I have a brand new frame that I no longer want and may not be able to sell it at all unless I have a title on it

How else can I determine the VIN coding?

All I understood about building my bike, was that I just had to take it to an inspection place here with the DMV to register the title. But that was 8 years ago. Since my bike builder never got started on the bike before his death, and recently I've been told by a bike builder in Tennessee, that the laws have changed so much that you have to have a clear title before you build the bike! Or the bike will be confiscated regardless!!

I don't know a thing about it, but I have a brand new frame that I no longer want and may not be able to sell it at all unless I have a title on it

How else can I determine the VIN coding?

I thought Smitty summed it up but I'll go a little further.As stated each state is different so I'll use my state as an example.

First you contact your DMV and learn all that is required for paper work to title a new construction vehicle.In my state you must aquire origional invoices for all perchased parts required to build the bike.It must be built to meet current EPA and lighting requirements for the current year.

Upon completion you must bring the bike to a designated inspection location where a DMV official inspects the the vehicle as well as the invoices for all parts purchased {they may even require tax I.D. numbers of businessrs parts where purchased from}.

At this point {assuming the origional frame fabricater used an unissued VIN} a title is granted using the VIN on your frame.

Because you purchased a new frame yet never followed through and actualy had a bike built and inspected the VIN on your frame is in effect non existant.It is only a promise of what could have been.Although you may still be able to sell the frame to someone willing to follow this process, at the very least a valid invoice proving the purchase would be required.

Thanks for your input. So far, that sounds exactly like my builder had told me. The only problem I have with this, is the Bill of Sale for the frame no longer exists. It was lost when my buddy died. His widow and/or son has no clue as to where the paper work was kept, especially after 8 years.

Also depends on if it was on a bike that was titled. Is it a special construction VIN tag? In Pa. you either need the MSO or a bill of sale. If that is not possible to get I would go to a good notary service and see if they can help you. If your state is like Pa. and you don't have exactly what you need they can make it really hard. Good luck with that one.

I've been told so many different ways to get a title that it just gets more confusing. I don't care about a title since I'm not going to build a bike anymore. The way my friend was just run over and killed pushing his Harley was senseless. People driving and TEXTING is what killed him. After knowing this, I lost all interest to even get on a bike at all anymore, much less build one.

If I can't sell it for what it's worth, then I'm just going to cut it up and sell it for scrap metal!

Back