free website stats program Need a replacement carb... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need a replacement carb...

A friend of mine has a Heritage and his carburetor just wasn't working right even after the dealer rebuilt it. He found a performance CV on EBay and loves that thing. I have had a lot of good luck with Mikunis in the past. Being an old time street drag racer My all time favority carb is the S&S shorty. If you are going to pay any where close to $400 bucks then go to the S&S page and read up on their shorty carbs.

Whats wrong with the one you got now?

Bodeen

Was having some issues... so I was disassembling it (per the manual) to clean and rebuild. When I removed the throttle cable bracket the little nipple on the carb body that holds the throttle wheel return spring broke off. I don't know how or why this happened as I was being cautious. This "nipple" also happens to be the end of the choke valve, so it now has a whole in the body into the choke.

Bought my 2000Fatboy out of a hock shop a couple of years back...fouled plugs from the git-go. They only lasted @ a week before swapout. Reworked, rebuilt, adjusted original carb to no end....never could get it right. Got another one off ebay from a wrecked, running (seller provided a video of carb on bike running) and only $50. Got it in and only had to rejet it for my set-up and I've been in the wind ever since. Some examples...

Harley Carburetor S&S Carb

99-03 TAKEOFF CARBURETOR TC88 ORIGINAL HARLEY DAVIDSON

Harley Davidson cv40 Carb, carburetor , Keihin

HARLEY-DAVIDSON SOFTAIL CARBURETOR

and here's where I started the search from... harley davidson carburetors items Good Luck!

I believe the SE carb is a Mikuni. I replaced the Harley CV on my 98 Fatboy (Evo) with a Mikuni 42 easy kit. The only thing I had to change was the head breather setup. I like it alot.

Was having some issues... so I was disassembling it (per the manual) to clean and rebuild. When I removed the throttle cable bracket the little nipple on the carb body that holds the throttle wheel return spring broke off. I don't know how or why this happened as I was being cautious. This "nipple" also happens to be the end of the choke valve, so it now has a whole in the body into the choke.

Ouch!

Bodeen

How about tapping that hole and using a machine screw in it.

mikuni mikuni mikuni 42 -- you wont go wrong..................... period

I have put on a 42 mikuni with the larger manifold to boot...(2ooo fxds) I LOVED my Original Carb and am keeping it Incase I need it again.. The BIGGEST difference I could feel upon mikuni install, was the accelerator pump on the mikuni was More Responsive,,,, Along with many easily adjusted features that the carb didn't have.

I kept My CV carb because it worked really well... I had it all set up to give performance to my 95" dyna with SS570 G cams and valves/springs by Manley and heads Flowed by Bob Gage. SE 10.25/1 pistons, SE programable module ignition.. Once the 42 was on, I left it there.... Even tho My Modified CV worked Just as Well....

The Mikuni is good as it gets for the $$ ,,, Watch as prices can change to Better some places on sale..

signed....BUBBIE

Back